My first time out

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, May 24, 2017.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    This was an account from my first days of trucking from May of 2014

Today was day #3 and it was just fine. The driver who I was with today was very nice, I told him that my motto was to be nice and get along and he said that was his motto to. He and I actually went to the same truck driving school, but at different times. I am stationed out at the drop lot right now which I like very much. Hopefully I can stay at the drop lot, permanently staying at the drop lot would be tremendous.

Tomorrow I am with the lead driver at the drop lot, things should be fine though I met him today and he seems like a very nice fellow. Actually so far all the drivers that I have been with have been great.
    The guy today was great, I asked him how he liked his job and he said "I absolutely love it."

We worked very hard today, but we also had fun too. Our first stop today had a lot of kegs a lot of kegs and it was going to a major major internationally known amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio I won't name any names, but if you google amusement parks Sandusky, Ohio a really really big amusement park is going to show up. Any how we were at said amusement park and we were busy unloading some big kegs and the driver was pulling a keg out of the trailer and right as the keg hit the ground a big white foamy splurge came up almost like the keg burst, but it didn't and the driver said to me "What the heck was that?!" I said "I don't know, but it's all over you and it's all over me too." Well what happened was a big segal pooped on us while we were unloading a keg.

Any how we got all of our amusement park deliveries done and we skedaddled on to the next stop. However we rendezvoused with another driver for a quick second so we could show him where we got pooped on and then we ran to our next stop. On the way we saw a Budweiser 14 bay B Truck entering the amusement park and we waved and the Budweiser B Truck waived back and then in addition to the Budweiser B Truck we saw a Sysco Cleveland Truck coming in the opposite direction and we waived and the Sysco Cleveland Truck waived back. It's like a really big club.

Then we got to one bar and we made a delivery and while we were pulling out another Budweiser truck came pulling in he had a big tandem axle 20 bay side load trailer we waived at him and he waived back at us.

Then we got in a small delivery race, we stopped at a golf course and another beer and wine distributor pulled in this particular distributor uses mostly 20 foot B trucks, they don't use to many side loaders. Any how we made our drop and there driver stopped to chat for a second and ask us a question and show us something that his company was doing as far as handling a particular kind of beer keg. It turns out this B truck driver is pretty well known around the drop lot even though he doesn't work for the company I work for, but the guy gets around and runs the same routs and customers we normally do only for another company.

While we were wrapping up our conversation with this B truck driver another Budweiser truck comes flying into the lot and that guy wasn't wasting any time at all he was hustling. Any how we got in our truck and hauled out of there. Then we got to the next stop and as we were making our delivery the B truck driver who was at the previous stop pulled in and he had a drop to make and the driver who I was with got the phone number of the B truck driver and they formally introduced them selves to each other.

Then as I was waiting for the driver to print out the paper work and collect payment the same Budweiser truck we saw at the delivery before us came flying up again out of nowhere. However that Budweiser driver wasn't very friendly. The B truck driver said he runs into him all the time and that he's not a very personable fellow. Didn't even bother to say hello gentlemen. I just thought isn't that just how it goes all three guys running the same stops at the same time.

Any how I'm not very tall and I spent a good chunk of the day climbing all over that side loader trailer up down and all around.

The driver who I was with today told me about the time he was pulled over by the DOT and they put his truck out of service for 4 hours. He had like 20 stops and had only completed 2 of them. The company had to send out another tractor and they had to wait for some trailer repair man to come and repair his trailer. He said luckily when he went back on the road another driver was coming in and he tied down his empty beer truck in a parking lot and they went and ran there route together.

It certainly is a job that will make a skinny boy become a man real quickly. Luckily for me I had two wheeler experience already and I got a good report from the guy I was with today. I was running around like crazy all day, but I really don't mind, I try to make the drivers job as easy as possible.

Any how tomorrow they are teaching me how to use the handheld and the little printer we have that prints off invoices for the customers.

May 7, 2014

Bob Dobalina, HalpinUout and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio

Dude, that's funny as #### right there... look how far you've come~! Sure would like to meet up someday... you are very mature for your 29 years; and very well versed and educated. I've even learned some history lessons from ya, man!!

The seagulls at Cedar Point are RELENTLESS....... yup. Wife wears a SOMBRERO when we go in the summer, LoL! (wipes off easily, hehehe... me and my ball cap, we'll be fine.)

Keep it going, man. Thanks. It really takes me BACK~!

Bob Dobalina, Mike2633 and BigTennOTR Thank this.
  4. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    PS: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, bro~! :)
    [​IMG]

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    Kinda funny because when I started driving with the beer company I went through the same things you did but now instead of knowing all the beer guys we know all the food guys...... a lot of them are the beer guys that are now food guys. Last week I ran into the Budweiser driver sup. He was a driver when I was a driver with Coors and I would run side by side on my old lake route back in the day we'll anyways he asked if I still like food I told him yes and with a rye smile he said when you don't holla at me. Lol

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    It was quite the day out in Sandusky that day. It was a Thursday I think, I think I may have some pictures of that day:
    002.JPG
    At the time I worked there that 14 bay trailer was all black it's since been rebranded and painted.
    005.JPG
    This was I think a photo from that first day, this photograph was taken at a bar in Sandusky, Ohio known as the Mason Jar. I guess it's a pretty popular place only ever been there once, but never forgot the name.

001.JPG
    More beer kegs at Cedar Point.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    The company you work for I want to say I've seen black and red Peterbuilts like yours out on the road before do you guys have gold lettering on the door? Maybe I'm mistaken.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Well thank you, I had remembered that I had that account put up and grabbed it and figured I would put it up here. It's something to read what you wrote the day you wrote it years ago.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Yes, and yes. That's us.....! Exactly. Older iron, but ... yep, that's our colors, next time honk or raise me on the radio~!~ Yes, I still have one.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Bet I've drank your product 3 years ago....LoL~! Getting too old to do the beer at the point these days, LoL. I'll stick to Dr. Pepper....at $3.00 a cup~!

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  11. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    What's the point get for a beer? It can't be cheap. I haven't been there in a very long time. Actually my favorite ride at the point is The Cork Screw that's my favorite coaster I also liked Disaster Transport to before they tore it down. It seems any more with coasters they just want to make them taller and higher. The Cork Screw isn't the tallest and it isn't the fastest, but it's smooth and I think it's fun.

Bob Dobalina and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.