My first trucking job, Dot Foods

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by bdryan, May 30, 2014.

1. WingNut72

WingNut72 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Fort Stewart, GA
    Good Day, I will retire next year from the Army with 22yrs. I will be getting my CDL prior to retirment date. Does DOT Foods hire around Nasvhille, TN and do they hire Veterans with out OTR experince. Thanks in advance. Jay.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GregH65

GregH65 Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Modesto, California
    Hey Wingnut, DOT is very VET friendly, I had 18 years myself. Nashville is about 175 miles from DOTs DC in Dyersburg so its a bit outside the 100 mile limit, but Tennessee may allow more distance.
    I have been waiting for DOT to become a VA retraining partner so vets will be eligible for supplemental funding, but in reality after training you won't need the extra money.
    They reimburse CDL schooling over a period of 3 years and per pay period. They do hire new drivers and actually encourage it. With you coming straight from the military the drug test and background will not be a problem. The hiring process can be tedious but its well worth it.
    DOT runs teams, transfer drivers, and customer delivery, so contrary to common belief not everybody throws freight.
    If you have any questions let me know

WingNut72 Thanks this.
  4. Cobarchie

Cobarchie Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2014
    I'm out of the Dyersburg TN DC. You have to live in a 100 mile radius to be a driver. In response to an earlier question, I wouldn't know anything about how they would respond to a driver wanting to take a week or two off without it being a vacation, or anything having to do with veterans either.

5. R G

R G Bobtail Member

May 18, 2015
    Cobarchie, do you know if DOT hires trainee drivers (just out of cdl school) at the Dyersburg DC? Thanks.

6. Endorphin

Endorphin Bobtail Member

May 16, 2016
    Middle Georgia
    Great thread, learned a lot. Had my driving test yesterday in Vidalia, Georgia and thought I did pretty decent. Man, the trucks are freaking awesome compared to the POS's I was trained on in CDL school! Praying for a call-back.

7. Cobarchie

Cobarchie Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2014
    In response to the May 18th question, yes, they hire drivers right out of school. They'll actually interview you before you enroll in a TCAT school nearby and have your job waiting on you when you get done and get your license. We've recently started finishing up the first batches of students from that program... We're hiring like it's going out of style. Our goal is to have 100 drivers for the distribution center; at the moment, including trainees not on their own yet, we have between 60 and 70, so get those applications in!

Anyone interested in speaking to me directly, just send me a private message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. It might be a while... I work a lot, but I'm not complaining too much when I see my paychecks. As of the last paycheck on the 23rd of June, I had already grossed 45 thousand dollars!

8. Endorphin

Endorphin Bobtail Member

May 16, 2016
    Middle Georgia
    Got the call I've been waiting for to report to orientation on 11 July at 0800 but was rather surprised after reading this thread that no hotel accommodations will be provided. I live 90 miles from the Vidalia DC and was told this lasts two weeks. Hmmmm, 1800 miles on my BMW? Don't think so. Made reservations at the Quality Inn, so much for the $500/week I'll be getting paid.

9. GregH65

GregH65 Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Modesto, California
    I live 88 miles from the Modesto DC and I drove it too. Drivers are required to live within that radius so you don't pull a Walmart and drive 10 hours to work, then 10 in your truck. DOT hires local for a reason and they aren't pulling people in from all over the U.S. so no plane or bus tickets either. But, your meals will be paid.

Endorphin Thanks this.
  10. Endorphin

Endorphin Bobtail Member

May 16, 2016
    Middle Georgia
    Yeah, I would drive both ways but I didn't know if we were going to have homework to do. If I did, that would really put a crunch on my time at home. So I'll head out early Monday morning and then check out Friday morning.

11. Cobarchie

Cobarchie Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2014
    You could ask if they had any trucks on the yard that weren't being used while you're there for orientation. You're going to be sleeping in one sooner or later... it could save you some money if they didn't mind you idling the truck.

Endorphin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.