My Freightliner with Mercedes, sell it or run it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by haider99, Jul 19, 2017.

1. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    There is very few people that take care of a truck like this

Spartan0229 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    If it was a CAT crate motor he lost money selling it for $34,000. That motor alone would cost more than $40,000. I can't imagine anyone paying that much for anything that old unless it had a lot of new parts, clean body panels, paint etc. It would have to be exceptional. Now if it was a hood and was ragged out, worn out all you'd have to do is polish the chrome & aluminum and it would bring that much on the low end.

4. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    what i would guess the o/p's truck is worth i would say 6-12k

rolling coal i would guesstimate yours at probably 17-23k

rollin coal Thanks this.
  5. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I would run the wheels off of it personally. If it's reliable and gets the job done; why ditch it?

Spartan0229 Thanks this.
  6. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Putting too much back in to a truck does not add value dollar for dollar. Last year I was shopping for a pickup, guy had one . New radio, new paint , new tires and wheels, he wanted 8k over book. I offered book , but it has this , this and this! High number in book is if this vehicle was prefect , you spent all is to get it back to this level. It's only worth X no matter what you do to it. He still has it a year later...

7. Spartan0229

Spartan0229 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Totally agree. If you can get a new truck without hurting yourself would be great. You never know how much a spare truck is worth till you need it.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Oh yeah I get that. You'll never get what you sink into any vehicle, commercial or otherwise, out of it. Now you'd never know that by some of the stories posted on here it seems to be commonplace that guys buy trucks for cheap that give them very little problems, run them a few years, and then sell them for more than they paid for them later. That would be the exception not the rule.

9. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I've got a few of them like this, i usually have it like a side business buy them fix them up and either keep them or sell them, most of the time i get my end out of it and then some and i have a pretty good name around here with all my customer so they know if they buy a truck from me it's going to be very little to no headaches and they pay a little more for it as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.