My Freightliner with Mercedes, sell it or run it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by haider99, Jul 19, 2017.

1. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I got a 06 century with Mercedes motor. About 1.7m KILOMETERS and I bought off my mechanic who said that he rebuilt the motor...no papers though. I had it for over 4 years now and its been pretty reliable. Exterior and Interior are both rough. Currently leased on to a carrier running local and not making a profit for me.

Now, I am thinking of either selling it or running it under my authority. It will be hard to get a driver to run this equipment and if I do find one...it will be local with short radius. If I sell it, the price will be pretty low due to Merc motor.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?
    I dont have enough capital to run it under my authority.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I would not put a driver in it.

Spartan0229 Thanks this.
  4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I'm kind of in the same situation except I have a cat with 1.4M and no rebuild. I was thinking of upgrading to a 2015 T680 at the end of the year and take my APU and Wide Base Singles off and put them on the new truck and just keep it for a spare since it's worth squat to anyone.

5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    just get a new truck and keep for spare, that truck is worth very little to very few people even if you find a buyer by the time they give you an offer i dont think you will even want to sell.

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    An old freightliner in toronto is akin to old volvos in Chicago

It will sell and likely be used to haul garbage until it doesn't go anymore.

7. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    this is very true i have seen some volvos around here that i'm suprised people would buy it or they actually find a driver for it, so maybe there is more of a market

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Let me ask you guys what your opinion is on what my truck is worth. '03 T600 with 13sp and 550 CAT. 1,400,000 miles. Was inframed by CAT at 1,100,000 and have papers. Everything mechanical is sound and needs nothing. Cosmetically paint is peeled in some places and it shows its age but doesn't look like a total heap. I'm thinking like OP that my truck isn't worth much either. It's not EOBR exempt and it's old. It is pre-emissions which is about the only thing it has going for it other than being reliable. It's not for sale and I'm not in the market for anything else. Just wondered what price anyone would put on it? I know what I think it would probably bring, which isn't much lol.

9. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    everything is worth what someone is willing to pay specially older trucks i had an 05 FRL Century 10 speed did an inframe on it had 980K original good shape i had someone give me 28K for it so it just depends what someone is willing pay if it was up to me i would offer about 20K to 25K dpending on how rubber looks

rollin coal Thanks this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Oh wow I'd sell it right now if I could get that much. I put 10 brand new Goodyears on it in Jan and also at that time new shoes, drums, s-cam shafts, bushings, new brake cans on the rear axles. It's in tip top shape mechanically & no air leaks.

11. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Guy around hear had a 2002 t 600 1.5 million. Fresh crate motor and you could tell it was taken care of for its life with one company. I called on it and he told me $34k. To steep for my blood. Said he wouldn't sell it for any less than $30k. I noticed the other day they don't have there old truck and now have a new 379. Must have got close to his asking price?

Spartan0229 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.