My journey to getting my own truck.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by cnsper, May 28, 2017.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I thought that I would chronicle my journey to getting my own truck.

In a land far far away... Tennessee... I got divorced and decided that I needed a change. So with two bags and $200 in my pocket I headed to Montana.

For a while I built web sites but that was scarce so I got myself a job picking up and processing scrap tires. Yep loaded the trailer by hand. Got comments from younger guys like "the old fat man is trying to kill us"

In this job I obtained my class A for the Dodge but had to upgrade for the Western Star later on. I was hauling loads for a local heavy haul company when the boss and I had words about his maintenance practices.

I went to the heavy haul owner and asked if he needed a driver. I told him if not that I was gone. He said you are not going anywhere.

That started my foray into heavy haul. I hauled everything from a 5k street sweeper to a 139k bridge beam. Normally daily gross was 100k +.

For this guy I pulled flats, steps, lowboys, stretch trailers, belly dumps and steerable dollies. Axles ranged from 5-13 axles on the ground.

Left him for another local guy paying more but quickly found out he did not have enough work for me. So I happened to get a call from an aquaintance on the gig that I am currently enjoying.

He was 19k into the one truck that was leased to him when they cut off his loads. I called the truck boss and explained who I was and asked if I could come back if I got my own truck and he said yes.

So, since the leased truck had already started the process of obtaining his authority and he offered to front me the licensing and fuel to get started it was better to lease my truck to him.

So out I go to locate a truck. Only took one day because a friend of mine knew about this truck. He had looked at it a year ago and $17,000 later I had a truck.

Now for the start-up costs, $5,200 in licensing, insurance etc. Then there is the fuel, it took me three months to pay off the start-up expenses and the fuel.

I am now current with the fuel and have stashed over 10k in the bank and increasing that every week. I have been running since Feb 9th. So less than 4 months at this point.

Now I am single and have paid off my kids. I have sacrificed more than most are willing. Have not had a regular paycheck since before Christmas. I take what I need and stash the rest.

So to sum up the start-up costs, $5,200 in license and insurance plus $15,000 in fuel expenses. So that was $20,000 just to get to the break even point. And I had to wait a month before the money started to come in from the first runs and continuing to add to the fuel bill the entire time.

During this time I have had to put about about $500 into repairs. I don't count the ecm as a repair. It was an upgrade that I wanted. There is a couple of grand more that I need to put into her with steering box and radiator but those will come shortly.

I have started the process of obtaining my own authority. Everything is done except the insurance. Waiting until we are closer to the end of this job to do that.

Because I am stashing the money away, I will have this truck paid for, another truck and trailer purchased by the time this job is over. Will not be a lot left over but there will be enough to operate and not have to resort to factoring.

You will read on this site that you need $20,000 in the bank after getting the truck. Bull ####, you need to double that amount. I have been lucky with the truck and the helping hand of the guy whose authority I am running under. There were times that I could not have even paid for a new tire.

The one and only reason that I took the plunge at this time was because I had several months of work lined up. Not the best paying but definitely steady and that is what is needed at this point.

I may be getting lower fuel mileage than the other guys but it is not much. They are paying $2,000 more per month for their trucks and $800 more a month for insurance. We are getting paid the same so I am actually taking home more.

That is how I went from $200 in my pocket to owning my own truck. It took several years to get to this point but patience will be rewarded.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Now thats some good lemonade (give life the middle finger)

4. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Great story. Thanks for sharing!

LoudOne, SAR, not4hire and 11 others Thank this.
  5. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    @cnsper

Always see your posts, but had no idea you finally took the leap.

Freakin' good for you! You took the leap I have been juggling for nearly 1 1/2yrs.

While different circumstance & definitely different decision choice....at some point we just have to make the leap & do it, if we are actually going to make that true O/O choice.

I solute you for your courage for making that step & for posting the realities of your experience for all to see.

Right behind you, brother.....but in quite another manner & position. Just going to take a few more months, though I was ready a year ago.

Seen enough from you to know you will have a good fighting chance. My money is on your success.

Wish you the best, brother. Will be watching your trials & tribulation with great interest & sure you will overcome whatever May come.

Rock on, my man! Do it to it! :biggrin_255::notworthy:

:biggrin_25525:

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Congratulations. Keep it up.

not4hire, Oxbow, 1951 ford and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Tell us about your truck, maybe include some pictures and specs. I'm jealous of your low maintenance costs so far.

blade, not4hire, Oxbow and 8 others Thank this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Thanks for sharing. Seems it has personally more value when you work, sweat and persevere to succeed.

Good luck.

not4hire, Oxbow, OLDSKOOLERnWV and 7 others Thank this.
  9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Always a pleasure pat.

10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    A few things that could improve fuel milage, performance and potentially extend the operational life of the engine.
    Depending on the condition and milage of the existing engine, doing rods and mains plus a reman head could be a solid investment for keeping your long term maintenance cost down. Should be able to get this done in a day a reputable shop.

not4hire, 1951 ford and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    1993 T600, 3.90 rears, 12.7 Detroit out of a 1991 freightliner and 13 speed from who knows.
    IMG_20170119_161819450.jpg IMG_20170227_125032005_HDR.jpg IMG_20170212_112720874_HDR.jpg IMG_20170119_161800007.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.