My journey with Orange starts

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by softail, Jul 21, 2014.

1. mickimause

mickimause Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Michigan
    It's provided during orientation. Every company has their own 'language', so it wouldn't be a general reference to anyone not a pumpkin driver.

knuckledragger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. softail

softail Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    It is a Schneider book that they provide during training. Good reference guide.

Headed to Rancho Cucamonga CA for a load to deliver on Monday night. 655 miles.

4. softail

softail Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    Made it to Fontana from Nephi UT with 6 minutes on my 11. Traffic between Las Vegas and Fontana was terrible. Note to self avoid on Sunday afternoon. People were driving crazy. Cutting each other off to gain 2 seconds. 558 miles for the day.

5. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
    Will Schneider let a driver drive at night if they request it? (I understand there may be ETAs involved.) Seems to me that a driver could eat up a whole lot of miles at night (less traffic) and no problem finding a place to park to sleep. Would this work as a company driver or not?

6. warhippy

warhippy Medium Load Member

May 9, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You are correct about the miles and Schneider doesn't care when you drive as long as the delivery is on time....your safe about it...and you do it within your hours of service.

My son and I team...he drives nights and I do days. I spend my days dealing with the shipper and moving trailers around and such. I get maybe 450 miles a day. He starts at 4 p.m. and by 4 a.m. it is not uncommon for him to have 550 miles or more. This is all within 9 1/2 hours of driving. He has less distractions.

I highly recommend teaming if you can find the right partner. Our truck rarely stops moving and if it does is because we are showering or sitting down for a hot meal. Last week we drive 5 days and ran 5200 miles. Not uncommon to run 1000 miles a day and still stay within hours.

Time4Change and knuckledragger Thank this.
  7. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Sure, I wish I had done it when I was a company driver! Unfortunately when I was new I was scared of driving at nights. Now I drive at nights almost 100% of the time and I find it much much easier than daytime driving. Poor visibility due to weather and a lack of spots to stop to break at rest areas, etc., is the downside.

What you will do is communicate your ready time and availability hours through the Qualcomm to your DBL just like any other driver would do.

8. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
    How long were you a company driver before going to the IC side?

9. harlycharly55

harlycharly55 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Coming from Vegas to Fontana, Friday, Saturday night or Monday morning is OK, Forget Sunday!

10. taugust

taugust Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Cuyamaca, CA
    And never going the other way on Friday

11. wannabe trckin again

wannabe trckin again Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Ok so I got ready set finger on the trigger . Answered the add in my area sni teamed with a local school . They pay for all for a 1 year contract ok im listening . I ask what is the starting pay .29 cpm . Hmmmm re west no contract starts at .34 cpm for flatbed ,32 cpm for vans . Every time I think I have it figured out wth ! Am I over thinking orange ? I am discombobulated once again !,,,,,,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.