My KW T680 &T880 setup.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by J Rich, Jun 26, 2018.

1. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    Thought I would throw a couple videos together. And no I don't claim to be a professional Youtuber, so. This is just what I have found to work best on the T680 & 880 for mounting a "big" radio, running coax, and grounding the antenna. This setup has achieved a 1.03 swr on a budget.

I hope this helps some others that here that are going through some of the trial and errors that I have had. I also want to show that you need $100+ antennas or pay the CB shop hundreds of dollars for installing. I also don't claim to be some CB guru. I just what was advised by my local CB shop and some of my own craftiness.

The expenses are
    Galaxy DX47HP tuned $400
    1 5' Firestick ll $40
    18' coax $25
    CB shop tuning and labor $20

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    If the other ant will not tune for ya,somethin else is wrong..The difference in the 10k vs your fs swr reading means NOTHIN..Might be a watt in the difference.....If your tech was any good he shoulda told you your resonance/resistance/impedence cause swr means almost nothing if those others are outta wack..

4. J Rich

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    Like I said, I'm no CB guru! His whatever you call it machine checks other stuff other than just swr. According to him this 5' FS that I've had for years performed just a little better than the Predator that he could have lied to me and sold me. Now my CB guy may not be best in the country, but I do find him to be honest and not just someone who tries to sell you something you don't need.

Now most drivers are not going to understand the resonance, and resistance. They just want to be able to get out farther than a stock Cobra 29 on KW factory coax and crap antennas will allow. I did not put these videos together to say that I have the best setup in the world or to get into a d**k swinging contest. I'm just saying that this antenna and coax setup works on 680 & 880 trucks that are known for bad ground plain.

If someone wants to spend $100+ on antennas because if it costs more it must be better, then do that. I'm not one that needs to go buy a $5 Starbucks coffee when a $1 QT coffee will do the same job.

HD_Renegade Thanks this.
  5. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Hey J Rich, you got that ole Kenny communicating 10 miles with the Galaxy and a five footer. Congratulations! And thanks for the info on how to do it.

I like the simplicity of having only one antenna too.

J Rich and Timin770 Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No offense Craig, but here is one of the smartest comments I've read on a long time.

7. J Rich

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    Thank you.
    The way I understand it is that. 1 antenna works better than 2 for getting out. 2 antennas work better for receiving rather than just 1. I could be wrong about this, but that's what I've been told by several. They say think of the radio waves like throwing a rock in a pond. Throw 1 rock and the ripples are nice and even in all directions. Throw 2 rocks at the same time side by side and the ripples fight each other.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If that was true people wouldn't use these. The principle is similar on a tractor.
    A single element while less efficient is easier to troubleshoot though so I can understand why a lot of drivers prefer a single element.

9. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I dont fully grasp the words either but i took the time to teach myself a lil more...I can adjust to fit just not sure why sorta speak...
    Biggest thing is getting someone to offer direction and not just say "set your swr"..Thats like buying new tires and say "set your pressures" but not knowing why or how much..

10. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    When it comes to most applications, the predator 10k is a better antenna choice than the FS. In this case, the top load FS antenna’s radiation pattern provides less reflect due to take off angle, unless you want to run a coil with a super long shaft tilted. I have talked skip all over the country on a tiger 5 foot fiberglass, a Wilson Silver load fiberglass, a Skip shooter, a 102” Francis and a predator 10k. All great antennas, but the 10k is the most durable due to its construction.

11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I like the durability and flexibility of this one. This one will survive a wild turkey strike at 75 miles an hour.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.