My new experience with Gordon Trucking, post-buyout

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by DenaliDad, Jan 11, 2014.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

It is Saturday, January 11, 2014, and I received a 'conditional' acceptance of my driver application to Gordon Trucking Inc, or GTI as it's known by those in the know. I leave the Grand Rapids, Michigan, Amtrak station tomorrow morning early bound for orientation at the GTI facility in Indianapolis. I begin Monday and will have four days of fact-filled fun with others like me, then on Friday - if everything goes well, and I anticipate no problems - I will be assigned a tractor and will drag a trailer of some kind to the GTI facility in Grand Rapids. I have chosen to take the weekend to set the truck up because I want it to be as close to "good" as possible so when I hit the road, I will be able to focus on the two most important things to me: the miserable weather I can expect and the load I am pulling.

I will update this thread regularly so as not to hog space on anyone else's thread. I am a low-key individual, like the robust discussions that can happen on the Internet, and I welcome anyone to write and contribute. Please keep your words on-topic and civil; I am not a fan of name-calling or personal attacks on my new employer, or me, or anyone who choses to write something. They have no place here or anywhere and I am sure the mods will stay in touch, too.

Now, it's time for me to pack. Again. So far, I've changed suitcases three times, reduced and increased what I'm going to take more times than I can count, and am still not done. 6:00 a.m. comes early and the playoffs are on TV, so back at it while it's halftime.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Good luck with that.

My question is, did they hire you as Gordon or Heartland? And if it is Gordon, how long do they plan to operate individual of the company that bought them out?

HotH2o Thanks this.
  4. Treputt

Treputt Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Good luck Denali. Keep us all up to date on life at GTIland Express! :biggrin_25525:

5. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Welcome to the family...a little dysfunctional at times.. but what family isn't. .

6. Sharpp

Sharpp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Henderson, Nevada
    Good luck! I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences.

7. Calregon

Calregon Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Oregon
    Good Luck! Cant wait to hear how it goes for you. Especially from the "newbe" pov. As GTI is in my top five choices here on Oregon.

8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
  9. DenaliDad

I was hired as Gordon and was told there are no major changes due in the near future. I'm not sure what "major changes" or "near future" meant and I'm not sure the recruiters do, either. It is, after all, a big change process that's happening.

However, I'm a realist; I know changes will come. I'm also familiar with mergers of large corporations having been through a couple airline mergers and I don't anticipate anything for at least 12-18 months, if that soon. We will see.

10. DenaliDad

It's now Sunday afternoon and I'm on the final bus leg of the journey to Indianapolis. There was some concern about ice early this morning and it turned out to be nothing. I want every reader to know I'm going into this with my eyes open and I am not afraid to share information about my experience, whether good or bad. My primary purpose is to give another perspective of a company in transition from a new-hire employee perspective.

i have hopes (oh, how I want a reefer!) and there will be disappointments. I won't get enough miles or I'll get too many when I don't want them. There will be ice and snow and maybe even...wait for it...CHAINING! It is, after all, a trucking company in transition. But I hope to drive a newer truck (really meaning anything newer than the newest I've driven, a 2007) and one with fewer than 850,000 miles, the newest I have driven. There will be happy-dance days and smile-days. And there will be frustrations aplenty. But I'm ready for it.

And I kind of like the blue.

11. DenaliDad

GTIland Express...Me likey!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.