My new experience with Gordon Trucking, post-buyout

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by DenaliDad, Jan 11, 2014.

1. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    "DD" place a can of coffee with holes punched in the lid in the floor in front of passenger seat. This will remove the cigarette odor...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Newtrucker bak

Newtrucker bak Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Naples ID
    What a waste of coffee just take up smoking:)

tow614 and 123456 Thank this.
  4. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Thanks for the welcome. I feel good about my decision this far. We were told by Jamie, the orientation leader from PAC, that they were told not to expect anything major any time soon - the executives are still learning about each other; they will probably be in their own "orientation fleet" for a while - but the little easy things like sharing freight and terminals will happen more quickly. "We're still Gordon," he said, so still no Northeast unless you want to.

I only met Tyler yesterday because of the weird shared-shift they work; he will be on today, too, I think, so there will be some continuity. I almost checked in last night to get this show on the road but another driver reminded me that if I did, I would get the midwatch crew, not my assigned DM. So I slept!

5. GHDave

GHDave Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Sun City West, AZ
    Howdy DD,

Thank you for the interesting and well-written commentaries on your introduction to GTI. It certainly brought back memories for me.

A couple of comments:

I was in the orientation group that went through at Pac during the infamous ice storm in January 2012 that shut down the whole facility before we could finish our orientation. One of the results was that we got no QC training. No electricity, no QCs in the classroom. I felt bad about that because my roommate was a 30-year truck-driving veteran who bailed out one week after getting his truck. I just happened to run into him at the Medford yard as he was cleaning out his truck. He said he just couldn't get the hang of the QC. Driving was no problem, but he was getting so much grief because of his QC mishaps that he just decided to call it quits.

You mentioned the QC and all the macros. It doesn't take long before they become second nature. It really is a slick system for you and the DM to keep track of each other. Doing a regular, and accurate, PTA is extremely important if you want to have a pre-plan ready for you before you even finish your current load. You get a reputation for good PTAs, and you'll get good loads.

Congrats on your assigned truck. I figured that as an experienced driver going in you probably wouldn't be started out with an old Columbia like us students did, back when. I don't know if they are even still foisting those pigs off on beginners anymore in California because of the new emission regs. Good riddance, if that's the case. I was in one for three weeks before getting my 2010 Cascadia. I LOVED that truck, and sincerely miss driving it.

About GTI as a company to work for. I had complaints, of course, but I will honestly admit that most of my complaints were not unique to Gordon, but were issues with the trucking industry in general. If I ever got back on the road again, I would drive for Gordon again in a heartbeat. Their Lathrop yard, my home terminal, was absolutely top notch -- roomy, clean, well-organized. It put all their other yards to shame.

About the smoking problem. My Cascadia's previous driver had been a CIGAR smoker, and believe me, the residue was STRONG! I was so thrilled to get a Cascadia I didn't dare complain. The shop at Lathrop has a machine they plug in and run in the cab that somehow "eats" the smoke smell. Ozone, or something. It didn't take it all out, but it did help considerably. For the rest, I just ran with windows open as much as possible, wiped all surfaces down with Windex, used air fresheners, and endured it until it finally dissipated.

Keep the comments coming.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  6. DenaliDad

Thanks for the comments and compliments, GHDave. It's nice to know I'm not floating all this stuff "out there" for no reason other than my own therapy. I'm pretty excited about this whole endeavor; I have som lazy habits to break because my previous company handled things quite differently...we only used 4 QC macros: login, logout, loaded call, and empty call. Anything else required looking something up.

I'm just waiting a Load #1 to take me home right now.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  7. GHDave

GHDave Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Sun City West, AZ
    Hey DD,

Here's the Trip Planner that I designed for while I was at Gordon. It's keyed specifically to Gordon's Trip Sheet that has to be filled out after each load in order to get paid. It is also very handy for completing your macros at a shipper's or receiver's.

I would have preferred inserting it as a .pdf, but didn't have that option.

What you do is buy a wire-bound notebook at Staples, or wherever. I used one that was about 6x9.5. You unwind or pull back the wire, remove out the pages, run them through your laser printer, then wire the printed pages back into the book.

It is designed to accommodate all the information that comes across as your load assignment, multiple pickups and/or deliveries, as well as the highways that you travel on.

The three "from," "to, "to" fields are for when you start at one location (like a Gordon yard where you took a 10) go to another location to pick up your load, then to another location to deliver. Each step has to be reported on your Trip Sheet, so it's handy to have it already written down somewhere.

Let me know if you are able to use this.

View attachment 60716

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  8. DenaliDad

I DO need something like that, but I can't open the link.

9. GHDave

GHDave Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Sun City West, AZ
    Apologies.

It opens for me, but there have been other attachments that I haven't been able to open. I haven't quite figured out this system yet.

I'll pm you with my email address. I'll send you a pdf of the Trip Planner as a reply to your email to me.

Dave

10. GHDave

GHDave Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Sun City West, AZ
    Hey DD,

Following your advice to try the "Go Advanced" feature. Here it is again. Let me know if it works this time.

Trip Planner.jpg

11. GreyHound

GreyHound Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Thats nice to have i might have to grab that myself:yes2557:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.