My new truck will be

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Oram, Feb 13, 2013.

1. TULY007

TULY007 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2013
    USA
    No problems yet.....not 100% sure about cb....if left it myself on or not....will keep an eye on it....
    As all models when new design go thru more/less troubless i wass expecting some to pop....till now am good.....nothing/nobody is perfect in life.....will see

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    if your going to Detroit TK to get your apu that is where I got mine 3 years ago. They do top self work never had to go back and they know there stuff. As for the apu it has been trouble free for the last three years and paid for it self in 1 1/2 years saving me 900 gallons of fuel a year. It was the best money I ever spent.

4. TULY007

Mar 27, 2013
    USA
    Yes truck is in detroit TK....dealer for the new evolution apu....was looking at Dynasys apu but it was stand alone ...no coolant heating, there are pro/cons on the apu tied up to the big engine but michigan winters are cold and long....

Spent 9y w/o apu in the last truck.....i said no more....we'll see

5. pupeperson

pupeperson Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2013
    The horror story related by TOSKABG and repeated to a lesser degree by others in this thread certainly gives pause to those of us contemplating new trucks and particularly KW's T680 w ISX engines. I have on order a sister truck similar to TOSKABG's. It's a Pete 579 w/ ISX 550/2050 and candidly, could not afford for it to be the lemon TOSKABG's appears to be. Interestingly, although the 680 & 579 share a common cab structure & are both PACCAR products, I am unable to find a single post in the entire Trucker's Report website denigrating the 579 model (aside from some who don't like its appearance.) Certainly nothing like the T680 stories of shoddy workmanship, terrible dealer service and multiple, repetitive failures of critical systems. Why is that, I wonder? It seems to me like it's not so much a failure of design, but perhaps a difference between the two different assembly plants --- their workforce and management ---that put these trucks together! I think I'm glad I ordered a Pete and I hope I'm still glad down the road.

deming807 Thanks this.
  6. Zen Trucker

Zen Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2012
    My company has gotten almost 40 new 587's this year with the MX and haven't had many complaints at all so you will hopefully have the same result with the ISX. The 2013's had some issues but they seemed to have figured them out.

7. deming807

deming807 Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Summit IL
    TULY007, how is your Ultra shift+? Any nuances over manual 13? Could you please post a photo of dashboard with US+ controls? Thanks.

8. deming807

Jul 31, 2013
    Summit IL
    TOSKABG, sorry to hear about your problems with a brand new truck. I'm going to order similar truck and I'm just horrified by your story.
    One quick question, did you install FS-2500 yet?
    Thanks.

9. deming807

Jul 31, 2013
    Summit IL
    A pal of mine from NY also bought t660 and also no problem whatsoever. I call him twice a month for updates - everything is good. (knock-knock-knock) I really wonder how TOSKABG get that unlucky item...

10. TULY007

Mar 27, 2013
    USA
    The ultra plus has the mechanicals that the 13manual has....basicaly is the same box with electronic controled clutch.....very easy to control with accelerator only , literally can be moved forward/backward an inch at the time without hard hitting docks, etc ...as seems was the case with previous one....
    It came from factory on the high revs setup at least on my book....gears are all set up to shift at 1600rpm, it does skip gears up/down shifting, does do it very fast without loosing any road speed including climbing, can be manually push button shifted in drive D...or in manual M....and it does it quicker still....
    The shifter is placed at the arm lenght right were the cup holders/ parking brake are...right were the right knee would be....
    I got ahold of the eaton tech guy that deals with the dealers were i leave and we need to meet at KW dealer to have the shift points changed a bit more to my taste....some progressive shifting like the first 6 gears to do it up to 1400 rpms and next 4 at like 1450rpms and the last 3 at 1500....

Eaton guys can do it by hooking up the computer on

deming807 Thanks this.
  11. TULY007

Mar 27, 2013
    USA
    Pupeperson....it is said that 579 and t680 were developed togheter but for me they are so different with no resemblance.....only parts that match are the steering smart wheel and the doors windows buttons....i had one 579 parked beside me and we both climbed in each other cab and talked about the inside/out.....
    The only thing i shouldn't bought on mine when ordered is the air front suspension, it has 2 airbags on each side and thought it would be more stable but is not....and im afraid on winter wont have enough reading if i may thru the steer wheel about the road under me.....
    One word in opinion ...leaf suspension is the way..

Pupeperson what are your 579 specs????

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.