My numbers are in 2017 lease driver did I make it or not

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Crazytrucker77, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    So I took over a lease in mid February so my numbers are in for a total of 10 months this year. So the question is how did I do. Well I was a success this year IMO.

Gross revenue = $170,484
    Expenses = $107,260
    Net profit = $ 63,224

Here is the mileage breakdown for those who want to see it.

Mileage = 87010

Gross = $1.96
    Expenses = $1.23
    Profit = # .73

Now this is before taxes and I will update once that is in but at this point I made double as a lease driver then I did as a company driver for this company last year. The company I work for is based in Oregon and runs the I5 corridor for the majority of their freight. I have learned a lot this last year and am looking forward to another good year for 2019. I have some big plans to increase all of these numbers for next year so wish me luck on achieving those goals. I can increase my revenue by 10% if I have my own trailer so that is the next thing to work on.

People like to put all lease programs in a category of "don't do it" but I am here to tell you it can be done if you do your research and find the right company. Don't let the neigh sayers get you down and do what you can to achieve your goals. Just remember every trucking company started with one truck and grew from there. Leasing is just one way to achieve the goal of owning a truck and it can be done with hard work, planning, and luck.

TallJoe, KB3MMX and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Yes! You were a smashing success!

DieselDrivinDaddy and Opus Thank this.
  4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Do you feel comfortable paying taxes on this figure?
    Did you pay quarterly?
    Lotta guys don't think about income taxes,till its too late

Other than that- Not too bad of a year

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Call me nuts, but if the OP had paid a driver, there would have been nothing left, i.e. no profit or return on investment.

I'm not saying that this was a bad decision for the individual, but I would suggest keeping the real business numbers in mind, and try to advance to a profitable business rather than having purchased a job.

6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Btw, that is NOT your net profit. That is your GROSS profit. Back out wages/benefits/payroll related expenses from the $63,224 and that will be closer to your net profit.

blairandgretchen and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    This is why I pay myself as an employee with all fica and withholding. I am exempt from workers comp. but pay for other insurance to cover disability.

8. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Well, that's as it should be for small business folks like ourselves ;-)

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    Not a smashing success but I did good enough for me to be happy and want to continue with the program.

I didn't pay quarterly due to some issues with my first accountant I ended up firing. With that said I made sure to set aside money for taxes so I will be comfortable with paying at this point. Once I find out what my penalty will be for not paying quarterly I will make a decision on rater or not to pay quarterly next year.

You are correct. If I included all of the money I spent for my personal expenses that number would have been more around the range of 20,000 ish. The main reason I did not include this was when I did before in a different thread I got a lot of flack for it.

Good point but the number is still the same at this point either way. I have no employees and my profit is my wage so I have no wages or payroll. My benefits are paid for by my wife's employment.

blairandgretchen and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Now how much per mile are you sitting aside for mantanice fund . Depending on year of truck should be 10 to 25 com . Newer trucks on the high side of that range .

11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    So out of that $63,224 as stated you still have taxes, what about health insurance?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.