My old small CB works better than new unit

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by InTooDeep, Dec 16, 2018.

1. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    2016 cascadia with 4' perch mount ant. I have a Uniden pro 520 xl which is a little tiny unit that I used to use. Then picked up a Uniden bearcat 980SSB with points. I am not very good with the CB tech at all so please dumb down your replies so that a 6th grader can understand thanks. Ok here is the thing, when I was using the 520 I had good range sending and receiving ( 5 miles or so) when switching to the 980 it dropped to where I could probably yell further. I didn't want to take it in and have it tuned (whatever that means see 6th grader lol) because I will be selling this truck and picking up a new one in the next few months. It might seem strange that I have been driving so long to not have this stuff figured out but never really dug into it. 1 Long story longer why does the cheaper smaller unit work so much better? 2 what does the peak and tune do and how much? Thank you and I promise to start doing my homework on this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK I will simplify it for you, no disrespect to you.

Just because it is newer, it does not mean it is better.

I have a johnson 323a radio that is one of the best designed radios made but people think that their $300 export super duper radio is better.

I would just keep what works in place, it works.

sell the 980, enjoy the money with a good dinner.

Oh the peak and tune, don't bother, most can't do a good job to begin with.

4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Spend the few dollars on a SWR meter ($30) and see what readings are, and the meter is easy to use. May just be a poor connection. I frequently have to play with coax connection at radio when connecting to get a good SWR reading.
    Likely nothing wrong with radio.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    usually, when an antenna is tuned, any cb will work on it.

i too have that same exact mini cb it's in my company truck right now in fact.

i also have a cobra 25 classic, (much bigger/with features the mini does not have) and i have no problems with talking/receiving.

i'd be wondering if that bigger radio is defective, but try these first,

crank up the dynamic mic control, if you have it.

crank up the RF gain, if you have it.

make sure the squelch is not cranked up, like you want it off for now.

i see where that radio had a "clarifier" button, try putting that half way thru it's adjustment.

i see that you have a switch to the far right, that says, AM/USB/LSB

AM is for ordinary cb channels.

USB/LWB, is for when you are driving with someone else, and he (or you) say, "go to the USB of this channel (upper side band) or you both agree to go to the LSB (lower side band) of that channel, as to not interfere with others on the AM side

that's about all i got, and if all else fails, chuck it out the window, it's broken..????

6. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    The UNIDEN 980 is an excellent radio. Digital, AM/SSB.

I think it’s the minimum to buy. Less in price & performance takes away, and size change from smallest to this isn’t worth the trade-off.

As to the problems you’re experiencing two things come to mind:

First, borrow a known good radio from someone to establish that the truck end of things is ruled out.

Second, the UNIDENs aren’t “loud”. That is, experimenting with a power mike may help in getting you heard.

These two are AFTER you’ve used the owners manual to set the radio controls. AM or sideband. Mike Gain. Talkback. Etc.

How’s the SWR?

Acquaint yourself with setting up the radio (paper copy or online) to be sure all is as it should be.

Loose connections are another. Whether to an external speaker or the antenna coax.

Upgrade that radio with the addition of:

1). RM ITALY KL203 amplifier (70-watts for $70; see EBay).

2). WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEAKER ($199; $169 plus free shipping until 12/30 from DX ENGINEERING). This is a digital signal processing speaker that with variable filtration cuts the noise enormously. It’ll change your life.

Ignore the cross-thru below; that is, an unintended edit

3). Best antenna for the best location on your truck. For company trucks it’s usually the top load design that works best. Longest possible up to 13’ 5” from mount. Skipshooter a favorite American made brand on this site. ($25 or so).

4). Best coaxial cable. RG8. New.

5). Connecting power to a clean source also preferred. Fused both leads.

(The 980, DSP Speaker and KL203 amp will all run TOGETHER off of the factory truck 15A CB radio circuit).

These changes will give you a rig that — when tuned properly — will outperform so-called “big” radios in many instances.

Hear, and get heard. This’ll do it.

7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Going to lsb or usb on a channel (like 19) where there are people talking on AM "Will" interfere with those on on the AM side....They will hear something that sounds like Donald Duck talking...as will you... If your going to talk on the SSB channels, you need to go to the upper channels like channels 36-40 to talk...or find another AM channel where no one is at...SSB channels are part of the regular 40 CB Channels, just a different mode...Generally you will have a little more wattage on the ssb channels which will also allow for greater distance than on AM...

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    SSB have 12 watts PEP.....

that is 4 watts per band...AM=4 watts...USB=4 watts...LSB..=4 watts...that is your 12 watts PEP......

unless one has the radio peaked and tuned, or even hooked up to a linear.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  9. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    1st the perches are junk..
    2nd get an multi meter and check any connections to what its attached to except the very top and bottom of ant stud..
    Now on the radio side of your coax the collar that screws onto the radio well grab it and push tightly against it stop(do not connect to radio)now put one lead of your multi meter on that and other side into the + side of the radios power plug......If you have anything more than 00000 ohms then your not getting good connections somewhere.....

As for the radio,chances are you have it set up wrong as stated above or something is wrong with the radio..

Dont bother with amps and dsp speakers just yet till you know what you want out of your radio..You rarely get your $ back if you have issues or dont like it...
    Plus being a radio rookie go watch some youtube vids of radio tuners and antenna makers n such..Jump over to k0bg.com and do some reading..It will give you a good jump start in the radio world..Then when you have more questions come back and we all will chip in and help ya out some more..

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You guys are funny, the radio is the a lemon, the older one works ... just because it is old don't mean it's bad.

mike5511 and InTooDeep Thank this.
  11. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Pretty much what i said..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.