My orientation with Schneider

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by TurtlesLikeI, Jun 6, 2017.

1. TurtlesLikeI

TurtlesLikeI Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    Day 5: First week complete. Today was extremely boring, lots of videos and a few multiple question tests that are the same as the chapters in the book. Some guy actually managed to fail and they simply had him keep doing it until he passed, so there's no pressure here. We were quickly briefed on how to move the tandems and went over some required black book paperwork in the trucks, then headed back to class and received our fuel cards. We got to play around on the simulators for handling different disaster scenarios, pretty cool. After that we learned how to send out our paper logs and the day was over.

Tomorrow I begin week 2 which will be my one on one, over the road training. I'm excited and super nervous!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Laruuk

Laruuk Bobtail Member

May 20, 2017
    North Charleston, SC
    Thanks for these updates. Should make my own orientation easier having an idea of what to expect.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  4. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    Haven't heard anything lately, hope everything is still going good for you

Rocknroller4 Thanks this.
  5. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Hopefully not caught in that crazy heatwave happening in Phoenix.

6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    by this point he should be back in Phoenix for final qual testing and trip planning.

assuming of course his te was ready and waiting beginning of last week.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  7. TurtlesLikeI

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    Sorry there weren't any updates. I haven't had a single day off in 22 days and have been catching up on much needed sleep and the last couple days of 118 degree heat has been a mind killer.

Week 2 wasn't a great week for me. My trainer was fine, but there were a lot of things out of our control going wrong and it was entirely spent in the hole of hell that is California, plus some personal issues that made it hard for me to fully concentrate. Regardless, it was a priceless learning experience and I rather enjoyed the driving portion of the job, even if the scenery kinda sucked.

Week 3 has been pretty boring and uneventful which hasn't prompted me to give many updates. It has consisted of soft skills (qualcomm, trip planning, etc.), hard skills and presentations, also finishing up some required videos whenever we had time. Yesterday was our hard skills tests, cleverly disguised as practice, and today was our soft skills tests, which consisted of planning out a trip and using the qualcomm effectively. Tomorrow is graduation and I'm very much looking forward to going home! I believe 10 of the original 19 people remain.

All in all, Schneider seems like a good starter company and everyone has been incredibly nice and professional. I'm honestly very intimidated and anxious about starting this job, but I imagine only a fool wouldn't be. I'm not sure exactly what graduation consists of but I'll throw in another update shortly.

Lonesome, bigred81, bamamac and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Rocknroller4

Nov 25, 2015
    Good luck man. Thanks for the update. I'd imagine California was jammed pack on the roads. I shudder to think about it. I'm nervous to start as well but your right. Not being anxious would be even scarier.

TurtlesLikeI Thanks this.
  9. Rocknroller4

Nov 25, 2015
    Are you glad to have gone with Schneider instead of say... Swift? Were they ever an option? I am decided on between the two since Swift would see me just 40 miles from where I live while Schneider want me to go to Dallas and then Phoenix.

10. TurtlesLikeI

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    I did consider Swift and a few other companies. The main reason I chose Schneider over them is because I didn't want to get stuck teaming and making my trainer money while I sat on a lousy weekly salary for an extended period of time. Schneider does things very differently in that regard and it was more to my liking.

11. TurtlesLikeI

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    Final update regarding orientation.

Graduation was on Friday and went by pretty quickly. There were some short speeches by various people. Like a true graduation, we all got to suffer through the whole deal where your name is called and you walk up to shake hands with the big boys and collect your diploma while everyone applauds. After that we called our DBL (driver business leader, essentially a glorified dispatcher) and figured out transportation home to take a break. Some flew, others got rental cars, none were put on busses.

I'll be calling my DBL on Monday to figure out how and when I'm going to pick up my truck but for now I'm just enjoying my much needed break.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.