My Rant As A Independent Carrier

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by freight-time, Apr 24, 2017.

1. freight-time

freight-time Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Good day professionals . I'm a one man army . I have had a direct connection here , and there . It seems sometimes that I can get better rates off the board vs dealing with a direct customer . It has now come to be that I haven't been seeing that much freight in my area popping up on the boards as of late . I have seen the big boys moving in like Landstar , Cowan , Brown just to name a few . Those large carriers are covering what I use to call easy picking . Its getting pretty hard for me to find good paying loads within a 50 mile radius . The thing about thsee carries is that they hire O/O , and pay them 1.25 - 1.50 per mile . I use to get 2 - 4 $ per mile out of the same area . I now feel like the guys that lease on to them are selling their self short , and hurting guys like me . Just my thoughts . What do you all think ?

Dharok and noluck Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    It is the way of the world my friend. I'm in central Texas so my outbound has dropped dramatically over past years. But with o/o working for as little as $1.10 per mile and company drivers in the .25 range nowadays with some of these companies it is definitely affecting things. Just have 2 try and find a good direct route or a semi honest broker that has a pretty reliable shopper with weekly runs. But it varies. 1 week I might get over $2.00 on a run into a favorable area. Next week might get $1.40 into a bad area. It is tough and just depends how willing you are 2 sit and find better loads or just take something 2 get 2 different area.

freight-time Thanks this.
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have direct customers, some have no problem paying my rate-some piss & moan that they are too high. All my shipments are LTL, so the ones that complain, I just tell them to call Roadway or Conway and see what happens to their freight.. lol

freight-time, Dharok, Stwik and 5 others Thank this.
  5. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    Best philosophy there is 4 us. We aren't selling a truck and rate, we are selling a personal touch and gurantee of service and personnel compared 2 some mega with a guy who can't even straight line back and arrives in flips and a wife beater with no shower for 3 days... the customers that understand that are the ones I am willing 2 bend over backwards 2 keep.

freight-time, Dharok, LloydToo and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dude, I got to tell you that many don't give a crap about the personal touch when it comes to the truck, they care that they get the product off their docks and out to their customer. Personal touch stuff comes into play when there is a problem that has cropped up.

You are selling capacity, nothing else. Unless they want exclusive use of that truck, it is always about capacity.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's also about accessibility. Had a customer call me Thurs. while I was loading in Commerce, he was in Santa Fe Springs, asked me if I could pick up today. I said I would and be down in about 2 hrs. Saved his butt and customer got their chairs on Friday before lunch.

freight-time Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    This has been going on for a long time. Nothing new other then it has affected YOU personally. This happens in all business types. Even small donut shops deal with competition reality at some point.

You had a good thing going. Thing is you're not the only one in the business, and others are hungry where perhaps you became complacent and took things for granted?

Adapt, integrate, join, or get out.

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Maybe in the bulk commodity junk loads. But when it comes to high value product and stuff that has to be there at x time or they lose thousands, service means something. By personal touch we don't mean buying them dinner and sending them xmas cards, we mean they know they got an operator that won't damage their product and it will arrive when it needs to be there instead of when its convenient for the carrier.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Dharok, Stwik, V c2c and 3 others Thank this.
  10. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Exactly what came to mind...but I suspect introspection is not on the to do list...

Prolly "other people's fault"...

Stwik and spyder7723 Thank this.
  11. wise2727

wise2727 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    This will be an unpopular opinion, but an honest one: the days of independents is in the past. There are some hanging on, but In reality they can't compete forever against corporations. Look at the independent truck stops. They have parking at 2am for a reason. It's not just trucking either. Megas can sell for less than your overhead. Period. Swift makes a profit charging 1.10 a mile. O/O can't beat that. Customers care about price 1st and 2nd. Service and speed is a distant 3rd

Dharok Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.