My school for cdl a

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by jesus1337, Oct 3, 2023.

  1. jesus1337

    jesus1337 Bobtail Member

    Jul 24, 2023
    Told me just get permit and they don’t do hazmat,tanker endorsements but could guide you on how to get them later. Should I do them now at dps when getting the learner permit or after I get my cdl a in school.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. lual

    lual Road Train Member

    Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Worry about those endorsements later....

    You need to focus on more basic driving concepts, first.

    Heck -- I got my endorsements AFTER I got my CDL....:p

    Bonita Nut and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Knightcrawler

    Knightcrawler Medium Load Member

    Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn
    Doesnt hurt you to take them tests. Dont know about your state, but Minnesota they are free to take. I was a CDL instructor for a few years and I always told my students to take them. If you fail, at least you have seen the test and know what to study later.
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

    Chinatown Road Train Member

    Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get all the endorsements before you graduate. This way you have more job opportunities for your first trucking job.
  6. HiramKingWilliams

    HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

    May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    I got all endorsements the same day I got my permit. Why wait? Unless you need to. Then, yeah. Otherwise, put your hands up and fight like a man.
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Henley

    Henley Light Load Member

    Mar 11, 2009
    Rock Springs, WY
    I can't speak for every state, but I would assume they're more or less the same. Here in Wyoming, the endorsement tests are free to take. Hazmat, Passenger and School Bus do require extra expenses, but the computer tests inside the DMV office are still free. As for Doubles/Triples and Tanker, they don't cost anything to obtain, so there really isn't any good reason not to get them. What does cost, however, is printing a license, so if you take those endorsement tests at the same time you get your CDL or CLP permit, there is no extra expense. If you wait to take those endorsement tests until after you already have your CDL, you'll have to pay to get a new license printed that shows the endorsements, and you might also have to wait a few weeks for the hard copy of your license to show up in your mailbox if you're in a state that mails them to you.
    lual and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted