My Short Experience With Heartland.

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by vinsanity, Aug 7, 2011.

1. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    I was working for CRST but got tired of the whole team thing. I looked around and Heartland seemed like a good deal. The recruiter was very nice and they are very thorough. It seems they actually check you out before you get to orientation, unlike many other companies.

So I get approved. As the recruiter is looking up a bus ticket, he casually mentions there is a "dress code". I was thinking the usual, no cut-offs, torn t-shirts, flip-flops, etc. Then he got to "hair must be above a business collar". Huh? This is 2011, not 1950. Would have been nice to mention such an odd rule before I had quit my job. I told him never mind and went with USX instead.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

It's probably a good thing you did. If your long hair is more important then their high mileage pay, you made the right decision and both of you will be happier.

DrtyDiesel, Menehune and joseph1135 Thank this.
  4. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Also no jewelry on men other than rings and a chain.
    Tattoos are fine.
    The per mile rate is good, but it is short to med haul. So do not expect to see 3000 mile weeks. It is not going to happen often. 2200-2400 is more common for regional drivers, and maybe a little more for system.
    Basically you will make the same money that you will at some other places. But run less miles to make the money, and many times be home more.

5. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    That was my gripe with Heartland. Sure, at the time I was making a nickel more than my previous employer. But during the time I was there, my average miles per week were 1720.

I agree with the "run less and make the same" idea, but if you're out there on the road and not being utilized as well as you should be, it becomes a moot point. Or, in other words, I shouldn't be running just 1700 miles. If I'm out 5 or 5 1/2 days, I ought to be running at least 2k, minimum average week over week. Anything less, at least to me, is under-utilization, and a higher CPM rate means nothing. I'm too busy being bored and trying to stave off sleepiness due to said boredom.

Jack&Jill Logistics Thanks this.
  6. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I can understand that. I have met several drivers from other regions with that issue. I guess I just got lucky, and OH region does pretty well.

7. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Their pay wasn't all that high. The company I went with was slightly higher, plus a bonus and more miles.

My hair length does not affect my ability to do the job so it shouldn't have been an issue.

8. BigJDub

BigJDub Light Load Member

May 26, 2011
    Crescent City, Ca
    They didn't have a "dress code" when I was with them a few years back. But then again they didn't have any miles either. I ran out of Phoenix and was lucky to see 2k per week. The pay scale was ok at best.

When I first started with them they gave me all the miles I wanted to run regardless of fed regs. After a couple months of that there was a crack down and everyone working out of Phoenix had a massive drop in miles. At the same time they where trying to start running freight out of OR and WA with out supplying us with chains in the winter or permits for the trucks. That's when I quit.

9. Encyst

Encyst Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Miami, Florida
    How hard is it to pass the background for Heartland?

10. pilottravel2002

pilottravel2002 Medium Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Tucson,az
    How bad is ur record????

11. wavking

wavking Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Who did you finally go with?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.