My T-600

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 2hellandback, Jan 22, 2008.

1. 2hellandback

2hellandback Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
    2003 T-600 ISX 475 hp 13 speed areodyn sleeper 807,000 miles from Bennets in SLC .

Ok i just bought this truck and being only a paid driver my whole life im wondering besides the insurance and dot inspection allready lined up what else do i need to obtain?

Im from Idaho, should i license in idaho,,, or wyoming if thats even possible?

I ll be leasing out to a water supply co/oilfield support in wyoming most likely or a road contruction company i have an IN with. I prefer the oilfield as it is year around work. My tax people think an S corporation is the way to go but what do i know???? Need some guidence here guys!

Any advice appreciated.
    Gary

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Do not forget to pay the IRS your prorated cut of the 2290 heavy highway use tax. Even though it's likely that the previous owner payed the full $550 for the whole year, he is owed a refund on the pro rated portion he is not now using. If you place your new truck in service in Jan, you have untill the end of Feb to pay it, or face a fine from our "fine" friends in Gubermint.

For what it's worth, they changed the 2290 regs few years back, to include the refund part to a user who sells his truck before the pre paid yearly 2290 tax is used up, which is nice for those who know about it, but ultimatley it's more of a revenue maker for the IRS, as for any truck owner who doesnt seek a refund, or even know of it, the tax gets applied twice to the same truck.

4. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Well I don't know mcuh about taxes and all so Im going to offer you advice anyways, lol.

I think you should register for WY, ID, and CO for yer truck license. CO has some oil fields popping up from what I have heard.

Also....I've heard that incorporating doesnt help you much at all as having a corporation doesn't protect you as much as others say it might.

As far as your choices of work...not sure which way to go. Who knows how long the oilfields will be pumping...ive heard varying numbers. Right now its booming because they are laying down pipe and such, but when the pipes are laid and the wells are drilled, there won't be much of a demand for workers.

5. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    Get incorporated!!! pending the circumstances it "may not" protect you.
    it separates the company from you the individual.

If you have an at fault wreck injuring people, you are screwed, because you are the company and the driver. After the company they will go after the driver personally (you).

If the corporation owes for fuel, repairs, and truck payments, then the corp gets sued and you get to keep your house, car, boat, and the pile of money in your personal savings account that you paid personal income taxes on.

6. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Not always. For a corporation, you still have to pay income tax, yer still making money. You, in some states, have to pay a corporate income tax.

If you are an O/O, being incorporated does not provide you with a magic shield that protects you. The lawyers can still come after you AND your corp. Not only can the corp be sued, but so can its officers. That point is magnified if you are an O/O with one truck and a corp. sure, you may run your corp as a CEO, but you are also driving the truck, not the corp.

Think about it...if you are an O/O leased to a carrier, you already have all the liability protection you will need.

7. bigjuniortrucker

bigjuniortrucker Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Williamsfield, Oh
    I have an s-corp for my trucking business. I think that it is a waste and was a waste. It is just more headaches. More stupid tax papers to fill out and the whole 9 yards. However, if you are going to have more than one truck, thats' when the s-corp could help you!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.