My tarp jobs are ugly as sin

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Jubal3, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Jubal3

Jubal3 Heavy Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Central WA
    So ya, like the thread title says...

They're not pretty. I mean REALLY they're ugly as sin.
    They do the job, which, to my understanding is to cover the freight from both rain and road muck. They also don't flap and they keep the tarps safe from ripping.

But they are FUGLY.
    in my own defense, I have yet to get a tarped load that wasn't odd-shaped and where a lot of folds weren't necessary. But I see other guys do those loads and they're wrapped like Santa's Elves did them: Perfect, neat and beautiful.

In case you're wondering, my Xmas wrapping looks fugly too. At least I'm consistent:p

Basically, this is not my area of strength. I do it, the load is safe, the tarps are undamaged. I guess that's the important stuff. But Dang I would love to be able to tarp a load like some of you guys do, just as a matter of pride. Any tips? I have 6' drops and 8' drops.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Sounds like your doing fine. How long you been at it?

4. Jubal3

Jubal3 Heavy Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Central WA
    I'm so new I squeak when I drive.

austinmike, Orangees, pattyj and 3 others Thank this.
  5. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Your fine. When I first started yanking wagons I had to fiddle with the doors. Now I slam with the pros.

6. Ok big boy

Ok big boy Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I am sure your doing ok.I am ugly as sin and so are my tarp job's.Don't work as hard at it as I use to, old knee joints.Some guy's don't know ,that they don't know !

Jubal3 Thanks this.
  7. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    My tarp jobs usually turn out all right. It just takes to long to get it done. I start to get picky then time goes out the window. My number one thing I hate is to have to pull over to mess with a tarp.

8. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Everything I learned about tarping I learned from other drivers, after training. I could try to type #### out but it's been nearly a year since I've been behind the wheel of a truck, never mind tarped anything. I don't think I ever picked up a load and wasn't able to find a driver who would give me some pointers.

Hell, I pulled onto an off ramp in Arkansas to fix a tarp on a coil (first time hauling a coil that big - ~35k aluminum coil, big ####er) and a fellow flatbedder stopped after me to give me some quick advice on how to fix my mess.

edit - my point being, don't be afraid to ask for help or pointers at shippers/receivers. The worst that can happen is they say they don't know or they're in too much of a hurry. . theres probably someone who will be more than willing to give you a few pointers.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Use a lot of bungees. That will keep it tight. Good luck.

10. Jubal3

Jubal3 Heavy Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Central WA
    THAT, I do. I use more bungees than a hooker has condoms. But I STILL look fugly. Right now I'm being a gate guard till my elbow heals up and looking at the loads go by every day on some of the most Fugly, mis-shapen loads ever and they look amazing. I think back to my tarp jobs and ya, they work, but no one with an IQ over their shoe-size would call them pretty. Hoping that some of the other guys advice will turn true and it's a matter of experience. But mostly, I posted this so all the OTHER guys who do adequate, but FUGLY tarp jobs would pipe in. Some of us just have no talent at tarping pretty. Still hoping though that experience will make mine a bit less fugly. Cause DANG so many loads I've seen make me slobber with envy for the skill.

pattyj Thanks this.
  11. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    How much of a drop do your tarps have ? Are you using lumber tarps for metal ? That will make a big difference.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.