My thoughts on the usual Prime complaints

Discussion in 'Prime' started by moose97, Apr 11, 2015.

1. moose97

moose97 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hoagland, IN
    I started with Prime January 12 of this year, trifectaed on February 13 and will finish TNT next week and do my upgrade starting April 20. I've done it all in the tanker division and been very pleased with the program. I did have to switch TNT trainers, but that delay worked out for the best. I've been thinking about the research I did before choosing Prime, and decided to post my observations on the two biggest complaints I remember seeing - Lightweight trucks and slow speeds.

First off, in tanker, the only LW trucks we have are lease operators working the dedicated account out of Decatur, IN. Everyone else has full size trucks. (For the record, I will be leasing a LW & going to Decatur). I also have never seen (and apparently there's no such thing as) a LW flatbed truck. On the Refer side, I decided to count Prime trucks I saw one day. I encountered 41 Prime trucks and of those, 4 were LW. 2 each Freightliner and International. I don't have a ton of exposure to the Refer division, but seems to me, LW trucks are WAY overblown when it comes to Prime. Especially since the reason I decided to count was I didn't remember seeing many Refer LW's.

On the speed (or lack thereof :biggrin_2559: my PSD trainer clued me in - it's a lot less stressful! You save money, don't worry about passing people every 30 seconds and still have plenty of time to get where you need to be. After that comment, I realized he was right. I love it, and haven't driven over 57 the entire time.

I know some may still put Prime down, but I've been very happy and am glad to have made the decision.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Slower speeds and tankers go very well together

4. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Moving Fireballs waiting to happen, Had this happen on I-70 I was doing 67MPH and darn near ripped the dudes decals off as I blew by. Tho I do find it somewhat Ironic, 20 years ago Prime was ripping everyone else's decals off but now adays even swift is ripping theirs off.. Interesting how things have changed.

5. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Pretty soon Prime Trucks will be able to reverse faster than they can go forward.

ColdSnap Thanks this.
  6. heavychevy

heavychevy Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2011
    tacoma, wa
    I didn't mind the speed limiter maxed at 65, I always cruised 57 mph too when I was lease(did 20 months lease,completed short lease/8 mo company before I leased) I'm at a new outfit now and HOLY MOLY an 18spd and ungoverned pete is totally a night and day difference! Plus the amount of fuel we spend is ridiculous compared to what I was used to putting in the truck. Luckily I am a company driver

Highway101 and Chucktshoes Thank this.
  7. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Looking forward to the next 90 day update.

8. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    I have for sure seen a flatbed LW truck. Was a black prostar LW with a headache rack pulling a step deck out of sprimo. Had yard tarps on, bungied down and was for sure heading west on 44.

Only one I've seen.

watch your ### on that decatour account OP, I've heard not great things.

9. moose97

moose97 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hoagland, IN
    Well, I missed the 90 day update, but here's a ~400 day one.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Prime & the Decatur tanker dedicated. The first quarter seems was quite slow, but things have picked up again. I have done well for myself financially & would make the same choices again if necessary.

I still don't see tons of LW'S outside of Decatur, unless I see the Reed City dedicated guys on I69. I still think this topic is overblown.

I don't drive 57 as much as I used to, but don't fault those who do. When I'm going 65, I frequently pass other trucks, so the "slowest trucks on the road" comments are overblown too.

Finally, since training out of Decatur is near impossible, I've been doing YouTube videos. You can check it out - search Prime tanker videos on this site or YouTube.

10. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    It's less stressful driving 57, I do it if I'm not in a rush and get my bonus. I rather just cruise and stay in the right lane. I make money doing 65 but make an extra $100 doing 57.

JV_620 and moose97 Thank this.
  11. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    We have recently relocated to the northeast, I see quite a few Prime trucks on the local highways surrounding the greater Boston area and CT … a much larger % of these trucks are LW compared to what I saw in the midwest, Chicago area. With that being said, it's still not a big deal for me … just thought I'd share my observation. :)

moose97 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.