My thoughts on the usual Prime complaints

Discussion in 'Prime' started by moose97, Apr 11, 2015.

1. moose97

moose97 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hoagland, IN
    Dear god, how often is your OnGuard system going out? I mean, if it's snow or ice covered, yeah, but then you shouldn'thave the cruise on anyway. If it's going out more often than bad weather, get it fixed!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Press cruise off button, cruise on button, cancel button, set cruise button. Repeat until the cruise sets again usually the second or third time through that cycle it will reset, but be mindful onguard will be off. As stated above if this is happening often get it though the bay at one of the yards and get it fixed. Every now and then you get debris on the sensor and I have to get out with a bottle of h2O and a rag clean it off.

darthanubis and wolf71 Thank this.
  4. gillz107

gillz107 Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    New York
    Does anyone here know if Prime is allowing new company drivers to use automatic trucks? Or do lease drivers get them first and only? I'm still having a B of a time trying to use manual shifting (but I'll still want a manual truck for my CDL test and no restriction on my license for automatic only).
    I just believe I'm more comfterable using an auto instead. Drove automatics my whole life, so that's my preference.

5. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Prime and everyone else will eventually be automatic. As company you'll most like get an old manual. They're not going to put you in a brand new, full size, automatic Peterbilt as a company driver. You're going to either, float, thrash gears, or do it per three taught way, as per the owners manual, double clutch. Don't give it to much thought. By the time you get your own truck, you'll hardly ever grind a gear. I used to obsess over it. Now I laugh at how smooth I've gotten, until I forget I have the Jake on. One of my trainers drove with the Jake always on, but I think he was too lazy to double clutch and floated.

Let the flames begin!

gillz107 Thanks this.
  6. gillz107

gillz107 Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    New York
    Yeah, I'm getting a bit better (sort of) as each day goes. I suppose you're right about eventually looking back on this and just laughing it off. But I just feel that an automatic would suit me well.
    And thank you for the kind words, sir. I very much appreciate ANY advice and good fortune I can get in this moment of time.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    This OnGuard crap sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth.

8. PChase

PChase Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Show Me State
    I
    t can be... Sometimes it sees "ghosts" and will brake check ya or it will lock onto a sign or an overpass and throw the brakes on.

9. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    There is an overpass on I-80 in NE that ALWAYS activated the Onguard. It go to the point that when I was coming up on it, I would just switch off the cruise till I was past it then put the cruise back on. About the only time it would go off on me.

BigSky Thanks this.
  10. PChase

PChase Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Show Me State
    Then the iteris lane departure systems tend to starts squaking off at messed up times too

11. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Absolutely. But you got some fleets now that are requiring it so if you don't have it limits where you can take the truck. Can't tell you how badly I'd to have it ripped out and the parts dropped at the nearest dumpster. We've all had the system apply the brakes (and hard) for a false alarm or ghost reading. Used to be the system wouldn't activate without the cruise on, but the newer versions will. I roll west a lot my winters are pretty nasty. The fear is that the brakes will be applied out on the ice at the wrong moment. The company swears that if this happens ABS will prevent a skid. But I've been situations so slick that even causing the activation of ABS from my own braking induced a tractor jack knife type skid which I was able to correct but it was pretty sketchy and required two lanes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.