My truck won’t start due to super cold weather,

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by United Trucking, Feb 15, 2021.

1. United Trucking

United Trucking Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2021
    I parked here in Denver CO for almost 12 hours now. It doesn’t crank fast sounds like low battery voltage. Batteries are 8 months old. Any advice please?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Even new batteries loose voltage/amps in the very cold, try a jump but oil gets pretty thick in the very cold.
    I never shut it off below 20 unless at the yard.

Badmon, Cowboyrich and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If you choose to shut it off, you gotta get up every so often and crank it back on in those temps. It got below 0 in Denver this past weekend, if I am not mistaken,so that can be a recipe for disaster. If it ain't a battery issue, and you're at the truck stop, you can buy that emergency start up additive or whatever it is in the red bottle I think. Otherwise you'll have to call someone out there.

bzinger and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If the batteries were weak before the cold will even harder to start. Don't let them get below 12.1 volts also because that like taking 70% or something of their power away. If in truck watching TV or have bunk heater going. You need to recharge the batteries before 12.1volts in general. Plus all that cold thick engine oil is hard to turn at cold temps. My truck has Detroit Diesel optimize Idle system. It will start engine to recharge batteries at 12.1 volts or to keep engine oil like 50F.

If your fuel gel because it really cold like 15F or colder then you have bigger problem. Have to see if the red bottle anti gel can throw out diesel or something.

6. Cowboyrich

Cowboyrich Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Dayton, Washington
    12.1 volts the batteries are for part dead. I would idled but I don't know your company rules, and a side note if on the side of the road, restarea what have you I won't shut down any engine when it gets cold out.

austinmike Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    12.4 volts is considered 75% charged if you can believe it.

86scotty and Cowboyrich Thank this.
  8. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    There are some tricks to starting it when it gets really cold. Most trucks have a bit of difficulty starting when the temperature is below 10 degrees, and it gets more difficult when the temps are close to zero or below if the truck is not plugged in.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I live where it routinely hits -35 in winter. Stuff not starting is a routine thing in these parts lol.

peterd, Isafarmboy, bzinger and 6 others Thank this.
  10. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

IF I recall 11.8 volts a DDEC dont even power up. Low voltage is trouble some on electronics.

Shawn2130 Thanks this.
  11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Threads like this blow my mind. It shows you what we're dealing with out here with some drivers. Sorry OP, if you don't know that when your truck won't start that you need a jump then you really shouldn't be driving one.

How many weeks do people sit around freezing in a truck before they post stuff like this......instead of calling road service.

alds, D.Tibbitt and Ky Flash Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.