My wife's experience with MTC Truck Driving school in Missouri

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by williamdecker, Jan 15, 2013.

1. williamdecker

williamdecker Bobtail Member

May 1, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I will be doing a blow-by-blow account of my wife's experience while attending MTC in Hazelwood, MO. I will post the good, the bad and the ugly.

First day she spent time filling out paperwork - which required them to sign where ever there was a yellow highlight. It even included filling out a lodging agreement, which they wanted my wife to sign even though we are local and she commutes to and from the school everyday. From what the other students say, the rooms have a king bed and a recliner - for two people. They also wanted her to sign an agreement to sign onto a carrier, even though we paid cash for her training, and she is there to get her CDL so she can drive with me. They provided lunch for them. The rest of the day was DOT physicals and drug tests. They had the local students wait until the end so the out-of-state students could get done first and meet their shuttle.

Second day was spent studying for the written test. Instructor basically read from the book. I thought they were suppose to teach? Anyone can read, I think. When it came time to lunch, the scolded my wife because she was going to take one of the sandwiches provided for lunch - she was scolded because she is a local student and they don't provide lunch for local students. The local students pay the same amount in tuition as the out-of-state students do. Why are the local students treated differently? She feels the attitude towards the students is really horrible. The staff at MTC treats the students like kindergartners. I told her to tell the rest of the students there to get use to that as the major carriers treat their drivers like that!

The other issue seems to know the instructors don't know how to communicate with the students as far as what time to arrive to class the next day.

Stay tuned for the next day........................

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stlvance

stlvance Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    st louis MO
    sounds like nothing has changed since last january then i was local too cept i drove there every day

4. MUDSUN30

MUDSUN30 Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Hickory
    Yep,i finished in December and i could write a book with the problems at this school!!I can't wait to hear more,lol...So far your story is right on key..

5. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Sounds like maybe she should have gone to Roadmaster out of West Memphis, AR. The area isn't the best in the world, but my husband went there in 07 and I guess the teaching was ok.

This place sounds like a croc really. Hope she makes it out ok with some skin left.

6. urgefan77

urgefan77 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I live in St Louis, & I'm looking at a school way out of town (Westwind CDL in Cuba MO) due to the negative things I have heard about MTC. Not just on forums either, I have met actual drivers in person who have bad things to say about the school.

7. sinker

sinker Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Pevely Mo
    Im considering on going there even though there reputation sucks!! Has anybody went to the Park Hills school? I live right between the 2 and If I go it will be the Park Hills location. William, why did they have to sign the lodging paperwork if your not using it. And if they are giving the housing for the same price as local people there should be a discount for local people.

8. stlvance

stlvance Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    st louis MO
    beware guys they partner with one of the colleges not sure which one but you would get the same instructor as the school has and getting a discount is kinda like trying to pull your own tooth out.

9. sinker

sinker Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Pevely Mo
    Ive been told they are partnered With Mineral Area College. And the recruiter down there told me the class size is 2-4 people. vs the Hazelwood school is like 10-12 in a class.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What difference does it make; when you begin the school, you're unemployed, when you finish, you are employed. Keep everything in perspective. If worse comes to worse, leave a pan of fresh baked brownies for the instructors.

11. WF8MAF

WF8MAF Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Hazelwood, MO
    Ill add my two cents in here, I finished up at MTC yesterday. We were delayed due New Years out grad day was supposed to be Monday but I had to wait until yesterday to retake the road test since they were closed monday. MTC is only there to get you your CDL. they have some great instructors and some horrible instructors. I switched from nights to days so I got to work with almost all of them. I learned something new from all of them but at times had to just sit back and shut up the 1.5 hours I had to drive with someone telling me something I knew to be wrong. They sent me for my full CDL test the first time after I had only been out on the road for about 20 Minutes. I passed pretrip and yard but failed road. Then I got 3 straight days on the road and after a total of about 5 hours of drive time I passed my road test. also being local I lost out on the two mcdoubles or three pieces of little caesars pizza that was always cold. About the only thing learned was the basic handling of the semi. But from what I hear the real learning starts when I get with my mentor.

sinker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.