N14 Cast Aluminum Flywheel Housing??

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by PTSCummins, Jun 10, 2020.

1. PTSCummins

PTSCummins Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Evening all,

An opportunity came up to replace my tired 460E with a 525 that an individual near me had freshly rebuilt for a glider (he didn't realize it still won't pass emissions requirements), so I'm slowly preparing it for re/re along with an RTLO-20918B (replacing a VERY worn RTO 16915 that pops out of more gears than it stays in).

I have noticed something that concerns me. One the 99 era Stars, the engine is only supported by the front cradle, and a combination mount on the back that supports both the transmission AND engine (I believe through the rear bolts on the flywheel housing, so the transmission is hanging completely from it with no additional support other than the machined lip on the housing). There is no rear nodal mount used on the truck. The clutch housing and flywheel housing I have are both cast aluminum, but I believe the ones currently on the drivetrain in the truck are cast iron.

Does anyone see any issues with using the cast aluminum housings?

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    My Freightliner 14.0 liter Engine has an aluminum rear structure and the trans has an aluminum bell housing.
    It has the same motor mounts as your talking about with the transmission hanging off the engine with no other mount.
    Mine has 1020000 miles on it with zero issues.

4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Your fine. Bolt it in. You new grade 8 bolts and hardened washers of proper length. I usually run a tap down the bolt holes in flywheel housing make sure there fresh. Use a dab of loctight on bolts and torque to spec.

Aluminum housings are used when weight is a concern. Speced at time of purchase

spsauerland and pushbroom Thank this.
  5. PTSCummins

PTSCummins Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. I was more concerned about the integrity of the aluminum housing with the trans hanging off it but sounds like it won't be an issue.

10/4 on the tap. I've actually had to helicoil 6 of the 12 mounting holes because the first 3/8" of the threads had begun to oxidize and fail. Chased in 2 inserts with red loktite on each and broke the tabs off. Threads are stronger than factory now.

swaan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.