N14 Head Gasket and shims? What's your experience?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Smellfunny, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    So we had a customer bring his truck in for his head gasket seeping (#3 head). We removed the head and found a shim on #5 and #6 hole. The customer called the guy that had overhauled the engine and he told him that the shims were something new that Cummins made to help seal better but to me it looks like someone installed liner shims on top of the liner instead of where they are meant to go. Has anyone ever seen shims on top of the liner under the head gasket? I will post pictures as soon as they arrive in my email.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I had one go back in 2004, sunken liners. Shop said they could shim the liners, but it was only a temporary fix and would not guarantee the work.
    So I got rid of the truck. Definitely not a permanent solution.

4. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I think it was a company that made stainless cheater shims for Big Cam from CA. Not proper repair, but saved someone from overhaul.

Smellfunny, snowman_w900 and uncleal13 Thank this.
  5. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    I think this may have "repaired" long enough to sell...

spsauerland Thanks this.
  6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, it's a corner cutting, cost cutting cheap out patch instead of doing the job right. It's about 50/50 whether they hold up or not.

BoxCarKidd and Smellfunny Thank this.
  7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I thank I saw some of those. Stainless and had a curl on the outside of the liner to center them.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  8. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Yep. I never used them, but a friend of mine did with very good luck. One of his customers had a Big Cam with a leaking injector cup. It is was cheaper to put on a reman head vs buy the tooling for the cups, so head came off. Got it all cleaned up and the liners were @ low end of spec. It was a pre-LPF liner block that had never been converted. Owner had year til retirement and didn't really feel like a costly overhaul because engine had no other issues and had he had just done the camshaft and had it timed spot on giving him consistent 6 MPG running west coast. They shimmed it and had zero issues. Sold the truck and continued running good til a cowboy driver scuffed a piston.

uncleal13, pushbroom and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  9. pup

pup Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    n.h.
    I've done that repair using shims with great success provided the liner wear falls within the cummins specs. There is a service parts topic on it.

BoxCarKidd, spsauerland and uncleal13 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.