N14 missing under load at 1400 RPMs

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by nightgunner, Jan 17, 2018.

1. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    2002 N14 that has developed a miss at 1400 RPMs when under load. Have changed the fuel filter 4 times in the last 2 weeks and no real improvement. Fuel milage is off by 1.2 mpg now and this is getting expensive.
    I am going to be home for the weekend and any idea of what to look at would be great. Idle is normal, low RPMs are normal, hitting the throttle while parked no prob.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Check the injectors... ;-)

nightgunner Thanks this.
  4. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I just made an appointment, I'm taking it into my local shop on Friday afternoon. If there's an injector issue it's well beyond my skill level.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Just for future reference, cuz I know you said it doesn't miss at idle, but you can unplug the injectors individually on the side of the rocker boxes without having to take anything apart. If it's missing at idle, unplug one by one until you find the one that doesn't pull the motor down and you've found the problem cylinder.

bigguns, Oxbow and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It might be best for the shop to do it. Im thinking injectors too.

It's really rare for a diesel to be thirsty for fuel and when it missing, considering what diesels do to run, it's going to be the cylinder related issue. Either no air or no fuel. In gasoline engines there is spark that is needed. But Diesels don't do spark.

nightgunner Thanks this.
  7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Have someone with Insite connect to it. You drive it while they operate the computer. Get it the RPM/load range the miss happens then he can perform a single cylinder cut out test one by one to see which injector is the culprit.

easytopleez33, bigguns, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Now this is beautiful.

What about the old school number two pencil above each cylinder? If you feel one being lazy with the cruise set at 1400 idle it should show up under that pencil.

9. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh
    Injectors are easy to do on an n14. Changed a couple out in parking lots when i bought a set of junk injectors from a shop in Massillon oh. I also had a weird come and go miss that went away after i replaced the wiring harness and ecm. Both were old so i figured it would be a good investment anyway. Engine position sensor can also cause problems and i would advise anyone with an n14 to carry one and the socket to change it out

bigguns Thanks this.
  10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    With older engines I also recommend putting the cooling system under a slight vacuum if you can, or at least remove the rad cap so there is no pressure. The injector cup orings will be old and brittle and easy to spring a leak when disturbed by replacing an injector. No fun to plan changing only an injector and it turns into a head job.

bigguns and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  11. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I do not understand. Can you explain that?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.