National truck dealership exiting Texas, blames state regulations (Arrow)

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Opus, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Probably not. The law has been in effect for 10 or so years, it's just Arrow had an exemption that ran out. What I'm seeing is at least some Freightliner dealerships are franchises so the law doesn't apply. For example Penske owns 25 Freightliner dealerships.

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Right. So so long as the manufacturer doesn't own the store, it's ok. Seems like a good move would have been to franchise out over the last 10 years. But, hey, what do I know. I'm just a truck driver.

5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    This is the Texas Automobile Dealers Association (Texas Automobile Dealers Association | Home) hard at work
    They are lobbying feverishly to prevent the likes of Tesla, Ford, and many other manufacturers who want to ditch the old dealer network sales model in favor of direct sales to consumers.
    No different that NATSO (National Association of Truck Stop Operators) who have been putting their members above the needs of truckdrivers and the public for decades.

6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I don't believe this is the reason. They're mad about something else & just want to get outta Texas. They could just let Jim Bob open a dealership & sell him the trucks or let him sell them on consignment etc, just like the car manufactures do.

They're crying in the story about thier employees etc. Crap, they aint as worried about them as they are themselves. They have an agenda somewhere in there & they're closing the stores to satisfy themselves & their agenda. Again, if they were as worried about their employees etc, they'd just let Jim Bob open a dealership, let the employees stay at work & get a pay check.

Naw, there's more to this than their admitting to. Corporate lies.... lies, I tell you!

7. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Cummins has been cited by Texas agencies for violating the state’s dealership rules because it not only makes engines for trucks, buses and other heavy vehicles, but it also performs warranty service on them, which is against the regulations.

Asinine…

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  8. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    What would you expect....? It's not "National Association of Truck Stop Customers".

BennysPennys and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  9. Studebaker Hawk

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Now that's funny right there, i don't care who you are.....

Numb and BennysPennys Thank this.
  10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Thought TX was business friendly….?

gentleroger Thanks this.
  11. Studebaker Hawk

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    They are.
    To the business that pays their lobbyists and in turn the legislators the most money.

mjd4277 and gentleroger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.