National Truck Protection (NTP) Warranty. Anyone with experience using it.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Army91W, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Bought a truck in August. It came with NTP Platinum Warranty.

Now truck needs turbo. Calling around to see who can get me in quickest and service rep said longest part is the negotiations between NTP and me about how much they'll pay.

Turbo is covered and I have a $300 deductible.

Anyone have any experience using the NTP Warranty and any advice on keeping my money in my pocket? Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I had the APT plan and in order for them to do any warranty work it had to be at a dealer. Then after the truck was taken apart, they would deny the claim. So I ended up passing twice what I should of.

rachi and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. Deeshot

Deeshot Bobtail Member

May 15, 2017
    What happened with NTP ARMY91W? Did they get it fixed or give you the run around? The reason I asked is I’m looking to buy a used 2014 pro star with 310233 miles soon that comes with NTP. What they offer for protection on it is the main reason that got me thinking about buying it. Let me know what happened plz!!!!

5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    This company has been brought up here several times. Not one poster has had a good experience with NTP.

Schöne, rachi and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    All warrantees are awesome..until you try to make a claim.
    It's just a piece of paper to let you sleep at night.
    Never buy a warranty!

Schöne, rachi, Pieter78 and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Invest your monies in diagnostic equipment and tools, you will be way ahead of the game. Especially the computer diagnostic gear, if you own an EPA truck, it should be mandatory to own this equipment and software. Hell, the truck should come with it, but we know we will never see that. These EPA trucks are a cash cow for these dealers, as are ignorant owners.

joseph1853, rachi, Dave_in_AZ and 2 others Thank this.
  8. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    When I bought my truck it had ntp with it, they covered a egr valve with no issues, didn’t ever end up needing it again.. my stealership I use didn’t have nothing nice to say about ntp and said they spend hours dealing with em for every claim

9. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    Never buy warranty. It’s a ripp off and scam. Learned hard way when I had my egr valve replaced.Took them a week to autorize it and after it was fixed they refused a payment due to “missing paperwork”.

Vampire, Dave_in_AZ and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  10. Blu chez

Blu chez Bobtail Member

May 6, 2018
    I brought a 2014 Freightliner Cascadia a couple of months ago. The truck will not do an automatic regen on it's own not will it do a parked regen. I had to take it to a shop for them to do a forced computerized regen for $100. That lasted about a week and I need another one. Reached out to NTP and it will take a week just for an approved Dealer to look at it. My mechanic states that the after treatment is bad and my one box is going out. Does anyone know how this will go down with NTP? I need to be prepared.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    From my own experience, not well. Did you check to make sure the policy covered the afterteatment system? I promise their first response will be it's worn out and they don't cover that. Then your stuck paying dealership prices. I had a trans go out and they would only accept a dealership diagnosis and I got stuck paying the Mack dealer because NTP wanted pictures of the trans taken apart. Then try tried to deny the claim. Only after I threatened to sue did they cover the bare minimum.

joseph1853 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.