Navy Veteran says he was offered jail or military.

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm skeptical about the offer of "jail or military."
    That program ended when the draft ended and that guy had not even been born then.
    Did the military start that program again?

4. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Probably had nothing to do with the military program. Some judge probably told him to GTFO and join the military or he was going to put him away.

CousinVinny Thanks this.
  5. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    A guy I knew was given that choice in the 80s. Maybe it was the Judge giving him a chance.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Recruiters used to hang around the courthouse when felons were being tried. They would sit in the back with the observers. Judges would call a recruiter up to the bench and then tell the felon, "prison or military."
    Recruiting commands made that illegal and forbid recruiters from taking part in that. A recruiter could be busted if recruiting command found out about that. For a while, during a potential recruits interview at AFEES (ARMED FORCES EXAMINING AND ENTRANCE STATION), before swearing in, the question would be asked if they made a deal with the court. If they slipped up and said "yes", they were sent home.
    My neighbor from Tennessee, who now lives here close to me in Nevada, went through that. He did an armed robbery and was on trial in Tennessee. The judge found him guilty, then called the USMC recruiter to the bench and said "prison or military" and my buddy said "military." The USMC recruiter said, "Come with me." He told him to sign some papers that he is enlisting for 4 years. Went to Vietnam and was wounded 3 times.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Look at whats been going on at Ft Hood lately. Makes you wonder.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    That program might have ended but my brother in 1988 was offered that deal by a judge in Phoenix. He went in the Navy. Unfortunately my brother is still a dirt bag and got kicked out.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Didn't know the program was restarted. I felt it was a good program though. Navy recruiters in the 70's and early 80's didn't have the benefit of using it.
    One way to get around it at that time was to send the potential recruit to another district in another state, then the background check would be done there and would show clean.
    Recruiters kept an "unofficial" network and sent people to each other from different states/districts.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One friend of mine that I still talk to on the phone, was kicked out of the Navy in Vietnam. He kept sneaking off to the Philippines to see his girlfriend is why.
    The Navy flew him to San Diego to finish the discharge paperwork. He saw a friend of his working in the processing office and told him he really didn't want to be kicked out. His friend looked through his service record and took everything out that showed he should be discharged, then typed up paperwork to re-enlist him. Took that paperwork into the office where he knew the young officer was swamped with work and would sign anything put in front of him. Sure enough, he signed the re-enlistment paperwork. Then his buddy called the detailer in Washington, DC and requested orders for him. The detailer sent him to Jacksonville, FL for shore duty.
    Today, that's practically impossible to pull off due to everything being on computers.

11. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Yes, that was the good old days of paperwork. I remember if you were friends with the DK you would some how by accident, of course, get double travel pay. :D No record of receiving advance travel pay.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.