NC to Nashville I-40 or 81?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Doing_flatbed_nc, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    whats your preference?

Miles are about the same but 81 seems to be more rolling hills than 40 from the big hill to Knoxville. And 40 has more curves.

Heading that way tomorrow. Probably decide last minute which way to roll

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You did not specify where you are in NC.

If you are close to Fancy Gap, like really close to say... Pilot Mountain which is a landmark south of that pass to 81, then get up there and run 81 down to 40 in Tenn. Keep in mind there are construction on 81 in VA.

If you are closer to say I-40 or even below it along NC, then take it straight in. The one section is a few dozen miles of 50 mph right lane only if I remember right snaking through near the state line. Other than that, hills smills. you have the horses dontcha? =)

4. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    I'm coming from way east on 40. I forgot about that construction zone near the border. I'll head up 52 to 77 to 80 and no, nope, naw... I do not have the torque or the horses to be running big hills. So anyone going my way tomorrow, look for a curtainside crawling up the gap. Flip me off or yell at me on the CB.

Woodys and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Stay 40. Take it easy from mm20 in NC to the end of the “No Trucks Left Lane” in TN. A few of those curves can reach out and grab the uninitiated, especially around the 19 and 7 mile markers.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Take 40 all the way. No need to complicate matters.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    40 all the way, watch it at the border with that no left lane. Easy does it.

There is a left one that swings curve somewhere along a river gulch there Im not sure exactly but watch it along there. You'll be fine. Everyone is going to be stacked up anyway.

8. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    40 is the most practical route. Stay out of that left lane in the gorge though. A 4 wheeler snitched out one of my company’s drivers last year for using it, they posted a picture right to their Facebook page and everything.

As long as you’re not stuck behind some weekend warrior in an RV doing 35 mph, the gorge is a decent drive.

48Packard Thanks this.
  9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    To Nashville? The only time anybody had to take 81 to and from NC was because of the rock slide years back. It's better to take the direct route. 40 all the way

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    I always get stuck behind some window licker running 40mpg through the gorge.its not even the tourist that’s a problem Thru there.. . Trucks will be lined up for a mile and finally get tired of said window licker and pass one by one.. It’s infuriating through there at times..

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That slide goes some years back, I don't recall exactly but for slides it was a BIG one.

That's another thing tourists don't know about mountains. If it's been raining (Fixing to storm where i am friday and you all get it sat am or Pm and that rock starts booming, don't stand there wondering wtf. Gtfo of there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.