Nearing the end of my first 90 days

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Reroll, May 4, 2013.

1. Reroll

Reroll Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Denver, CO
    My first solo trip started on 2/20, so I've got about 2 more weeks on my first 90 days. I just thought I'd recount some of my experience thus far.

In the 71 days from 2/20 to 5/1, I drove 20,858 actual miles. I don't know what my paid miles were right now, but I'm going to assume 10% less, so a bit over 18,000. There were 12 days I drove 0 miles, and one where I logged 6. Some of these days were home time, some were breakdown, some were sitting waiting for a load. If I keep the same pattern, I'm on track to make just a hair over $33k this year.

I've taken home time twice. Both times I was not home when promised. The first time, when my date was approaching and I was near my home in Denver, they just routed me right through and sent me out for another week. This past week I was in town on Tuesday with a load that dropped on Wed. I was told that as soon as it was delivered, I could take my home time a bit early (scheduled for Friday). On Wednesday afternoon I was saddled with another load to Salt Lake, and had already burned a chunk of my hours for the day, so the round trip to SLC and back meant that I wasn't home until mid afternoon on Friday.

In most regards, I have thus far considered this a decent company to work for, but if I can't get the miles here, and they can't get me home when they're supposed to, I may need to start considering what my other options are.

EV87 and CaptainYellowbeard Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    If you stand up to your DM and tell them no, your supposed to be going home, they will work with you. If you don't say anything they will continue to do that over and over. In the three years I was with May, I was late once for home time. Only because I didn't have anything planned and couldn't pass up the load they wanted to give me.

WoofWagon Thanks this.
  4. StayBusyTrucker

StayBusyTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Stick with it for a yr minimum then you can go anywhere just hang in there I worked for may for a short time they weren't bad and alot better than some others..And home time is always up to a general date if something is that important to get home on time aim for a 3-4 days early better to be early than late..

WoofWagon Thanks this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    You story fits the average profile and experience of entry level drivers. My experience was similar to Efon, I usually got home when I requested, however, I was very vocal if they didn't. Other times a planner would entice me with a nice run somewhere and I would choose to take it.

WoofWagon Thanks this.
  6. CaptainYellowbeard

CaptainYellowbeard Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Hoquiam WA
    I keep wanting to get back into trucking. However being upset about the pay cut I will have to endure to make the jump. Stories like this help keep me where I am. (Well paid, well rested, well fed, regular time off, great benefits, and envious every time I see a truck leave for anywhere!)
    Someday, insanity will prevail!

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    It can and does get better if a guy hangs in there and plays his cards right.

Here's my story.

WoofWagon Thanks this.
  8. Paloma

Paloma Medium Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Tell yer DM that ya that you have to be Home for a MEDICAL APPOINTMENT .. therefor, the Home Time is a MUST.

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Funny you say that. I really did need to get back for a doctor's appt this Friday. My DM asked, "Is that a real appt or a fake one?" LOL

jomar68 Thanks this.
  10. joshd

joshd Bobtail Member

May 28, 2013
    gridley california
    Good info here thanks guys. I';ve never drove truck but worked in industries with OT galore and sometimes you just have to tell them no you won't work OT

11. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    not really considered OT when you don't have a choice, and are hundreds of miles from home and the only way to get back is to work, usually not even straight home but hoping that this load will lead to another load, which may get you home, or even a load after that that will get close enough to home lol

Paloma and Reroll Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.