Need a Update on May

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Git_R_Done, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Git_R_Done

Git_R_Done Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Maricopa, Arizona
    Is May still hiring right now or are they on a hiring freeze I am a student graduate and finally need to go OTR I know its a bad time to start but it beats the heck out of unemployment most of you have seen other post I graduated in June of this year from trucking driving school

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pawn_is_King

Pawn_is_King Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2008
    charlotte Mi
    If you havent drove for anyone and got out of school in June then almost every company out there is going to want you to do at least a 40 hr. refresher. The only one that I found that didnt require it was Werner. Use Werner as your refresher then after you upgrade to qualified driver you can hook up with a better company.

4. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    News update on May. As of today there are on a hiring freeze. Drivers are waiting 2-3 months for trucks. They will hire and train students then send you home until a truck because availably. 2-3 months with out a pay check.

5. lovintruckin

lovintruckin Light Load Member

May 15, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Not true. They are hiring right now and I got a truck immediately after I was out of training. It was waiting for me before I even returned. I don't know where Kabar is getting his information (oh that's right...you KNOW people at the terminals, right)? He is getting wrong information though or just lying? I'm proof that it just isn't so. I will say that they are VERY picky right now and have a lot of applicants and hire very few drivers. Just call and ask them and don't believe people who aren't telling you the correct information. You will see for yourself.

6. Nighthawk34

Nighthawk34 Light Load Member

May 3, 2009
    Salem, OR
    Not sure on if they are hiring or not since I know they won't take me since I don't have a current CDL, but I live about 15min from the Brooks, OR terminal and I know for a fact that they have about 10 trucks sittin in the yard... can't say for certain if they are just waiting on drivers, getting ready to be sold off or if they are assigned to drivers that live in the area away on Home Time though....

It could also just depend on what terminal the information is coming from for the hiring and waiting information... Best bet would be to call and ask May that would be the only true way to get really accurate information.. well other than info from current drivers

7. lovintruckin

May 15, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Yes, just call and talk to a recruiter and see for yourself. I'm with May and had no issues getting a truck whatsoever. The Brooks terminal is so big that there could be a multitude of different reasons why those trucks are there. There are always quite a few drivers that park the rigs there while on hometime.

8. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    when i was at the yard, brooks, last monthe they had 25 or so brand new trucks sitting there against the back fence.

i recently have discovered thru the grapevine that :

idle bonus has been discontinued, but they will still charge you if you go over %.

LAYOVER has been reduced.

GPS tracking is every minute and it must josh with the logbook.

PAPERLESS LOGS is being / or going to be tested.

.............................................................:biggrin_25510:

9. Beans

Beans Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Temple, GA
    I filled out an application yesterday and Jennifer Lewis told me it would be a few weeks before she could get me a female trainer, so yes they are hiring.:biggrin_25515:

10. lovintruckin

May 15, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    That's great. Kabar obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. My friend just completed training too and GUESS WHAT....he got a truck the same day he passed the solo test. Go figure :yes2557:

11. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Well I know a driver that just got re-hired. He said the only reason they did it was because he had worked there before. Said they do have a hiring freeze and that drivers are waiting for trucks. But hey you belive what you want.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.