Need advice for truck purchase negotiating

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ncdriver1, Jan 17, 2018.

1. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I don't play the call back and haggle game for any vehicle .
    I tell them I am buying a truck today it can be yours or the other guys I don't care which .

I don't shop for trucks often but when I do I am buying not kicking tires . I don't have time for games and bull spit !!

The guys in my area have learned that when I say I am buying a truck that means I am writing a check today .

Road Killer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    Depends really on just what you are trying to buy, some trucks just sell themselves and people have more money than brains. I would imagine this is one of those trucks and the dealer knows that. The problem I think you are having is they settled on giving you 15k for your old truck. Now they wasn't gonna tell you honestly your truck is worth about 5k to us we are just going to auction it off because no one would buy that old rode hard log truck. In the end if you spent another 50k on nickel and dime stuff you still get the same trade. So to keep from offending you and making you feel you had the upper advantage they gave in to the trade. 120k for a ten year old Pete with a pre emissions motor you better check to see if it's a glider because if not and you buy it and try to unload it to someone down the road you inherited a big problem.

Road Killer and ncdriver1 Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry if this offends you, but you need a get a reality check.

The truck is not worth $120k but $60k. It is a truck, it is a tool, nothing more.

Here is what I would do if you are hell bent on getting something like this.

First thing is find a good mechanic who will do this work.

Get yourself a $10k junker. Buy two new drive axles, buy a brand new trans and a crate motor.

Have the cab stripped off the chassis, have the entire truck stripped off and put the new items on the truck, then the front axle rebuilt, the cab stripped and gone through, redo the interior and have it all put back with a new paint job, it will save you more than $30k and you can act like you have a new truck.

5. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    WOW!!! That's a lot of money for a 2007 truck!!!!

I'm with @Ridgeline , buy a rust free truck at scrap value and rebuild. I bought a $13k junker (700k miles) and spent some money on it but don't have maybe $40k in the whole thing. New factory crate motor, new eaton rebuild. New brakes, bushings, 5th wheel, drive lines, tires, seat, steering wheel, and a polish job all around.

Granted it's not a Pete though but, still?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  6. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Like to see a picture of the 120000 dollar 10 year old Pete

7. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    10 year old Pete is not emissions free egr.came out in 04

8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    It’s NOT a Peterbilt! OMG! Must be utter junk then !! :)

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    You are making ZERO sense....

Let me rephrase what you just said:

You are buying a 2007 (2008?) truck for $120,000 (AMERICAN DOLLARS????)....wow!

I have a buddy that just bought a 2007 Columbia with a Detroit S60 14L for $10,500. Truck has 750K miles.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  10. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    This can’t be real. No one is buying a 08 for 120k...

11. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    It's an 07 379 exhd, its on truck paper, not sure if I can link it here but shouldn't be hard to figure out which one. 240k original miles

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.