Need advice on 2011 Peterbuilt

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Jrry, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Jrry

Jrry Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Good morning everyone, need some advice, I'm thinking of buying a used truck at my local peterbuilt dealer they have a good deal on 2011 Peterbuilt 386 430 hp with cat engine with over 600k miles.They are also putting 2 yr/ 200k mile warranty.This truck belong to one of the fuel transportation company so I imagine all service has been done. I want to know what you guys think whould anyone consider buying this truck even if it had over 600k miles but with 2 yr warranty. I'm in California. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    You put yourself on death row. RUN as long as you can.

4. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    seeing as your in cali, deleting isn't a option.

Cat has worked out alot of the kinks they had with the emmissions systems. Alot of updates. Most people don't realize this.... it's like guys who say don't buy a volvo d16 cause they have turbo issues, they don't pay attention to the fact that wmall the complaints stopped in 2009 when they switched turbos.... or the guys who say they'll never buy a mbe4000 cause of head gasket issues, not knowing they've updated them.

Keep that c15 at 430 and it'll do good. the higher horse produce more heat and soot. Take the maxxforce for instance... under the diamond renew program, they offer their renewed trucks with a good warranty but the truck must be under 450 horsepower because over 450 and the egr gases are too hot.

I work in the oilfield with a guy who has a 2010 c15 and he has way less emmissions problems then any of the guys with cummins....... and he pretty much idles all day long.

Now...... emmissions aside... That is a pricey motor to rebuild and pricey to work on. I have a pete with a c15 and a prostar with a isx and I can tell you that the isx egr system is soooooo much easier to understand and work on, especially in a aero truck.

Ask for records and see if emmissions works been done and check that their warranty covers emmissions.

just my 2 cents.

mtoo and Jrry Thank this.
  5. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    First time I hear about a satisfied CAT owner with a post 2007 engine.
    You're right, every brand of engines have their own issues.
    ... and I still like my Kitten (2006 c13).

6. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    That's a very bad year for caterpillar truck engines. Buying that truck would be like buying a fine bottle of wine, pour a glass of wine and all as you get is vinegar,

That engine caused many people to go broke SPD serial number prefix. Like @bavarian said Run Run Run.

Your new to the forum, do yourself a favor and and do some research on that engine.

That warranty means very little, down time alone can kill you.

Jrry Thanks this.
  7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    It's actually SDP...I had one
    Shi. Doesn't Perform

Forget all the updates, find another truck. That motor is so horrible you'll wish you had never bought it. There is a reason caterpillar quit making on highway engines after that debacle.

alien4fish and mtoo Thank this.
  8. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    If he buys this truck after all this information its on him. I must have dyslexia SDP SDP SDP SDP not SPD

9. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Before I bought mine I was driving a company truck with 6nz. I thought "it can't be as bad as everyone says it is if I don't idle a lot". I am not an idler at all.

It dam near bankrupted me. I went from arguably one of the best motors ever made by a reputable company to a complete boat anchor put out by that same company. I really couldn't believe how poor a product it was that came from a company like caterpillar. Lesson learned though. The color of the motor or the truck isn't what puts dollars in the pocket.

10. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Either way it's a gamble. cummins has bankrupt way more people then cat with the cm871 and cm2250. I know boat loads of guys who were on their 3rd engine by the time warranty was up whereas my sdp went just over a million miles before I did a inframe.

That being said, I've also got a isx 871 in a prostar that just hit a million with all emmissions intact and she still runs strong.

You need to have a understanding of your emmissions system and realize they require constant maintinance so it's best to be mechanical. Isx is easier to understand and work on and for a grand yiu can have it running tip top.

I don't even consider detroit. the new detroit are junk, meant for fleets pr owner ops who sell before warranty is up.

11. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You must of won the lottery with that SDP engine Dustin. Mine was a nightmare. I agree they need constant maintenance and the isx along with rawze's videos gives an owner a much better chance it may actually function as designed.

alien4fish and dustinbrock Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.