need advice on a good company to start with

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Teddy Bear, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Teddy Bear

Teddy Bear Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2007
    McEwen, TN
    i just got my CDL i had three pre hire letters but after reading about the companies here i am hesitant to go with any of them. werner, covenant, and tmc. i was actually going with tmc but they said one of the medications i am taking is a dot disqualifier, if this is true how did i pass in the first place? so now i am looking at other options. i would really preffer a flatbed, and of course i am looking to make money.

any suggestions?

also where can i get a list of medications you CAN'T take and be qualified to drive NOTHING i am on is narcotic or mood altering so i don't understand what the big deal is.:biggrin_2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Designors

Designors Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    NM
    I cant send the links in the posting so I will send you a private message .... hopefully

4. Designors

Designors Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    NM
    Ok will try this again .... cant post links yet nor send a PM .... will have to do it without the links .... you can do a search for the information if needed ....

This is what it says on the FMSCA website for medications that disqualify .....

What medications disqualify a CMV driver? 180
    A driver cannot take a controlled substance or prescription medication without a prescription from a licensed practitioner.
    If a driver uses a drug identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 (391.42(b)(12) or any other substance such as amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit forming drug, The driver is medically unqualified.
    There is an exception: the prescribing doctor can write that the driver is safe to be a commercial driver while taking the medication. In this case, the Medical Examiner may, but does not have to certify the driver.
    Any anti-seizure medication used for the prevention of seizures is disqualifying.
    Methadone use is disqualifying.
    The Medical Examiner has 2 ways to determine if any medication a driver uses will adversely affect safe operation of a CMV:
    1. Review each medication - prescription, non-prescription and supplement
    2. Request a letter from the prescribing doctor

You can do a search and find the section of the code book "If a driver uses a drug identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 (391.42(b)(12)" that section will give you the full list of the drugs they look at

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.