Need advice on best way to relocate as a trucker.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Irv90, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Irv90

Irv90 Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Good Morning TR fam,

I am asking for advice on how to search for jobs while wanting to relocate to another state. I currently live in Florida and have a decent local job at a small 3PL, but as most Floridian truckers know; getting a GOOD paying local gig in FL is nearly impossible. I see that once I search outside of FL to basically ANY other major city or state there’s plenty of good LTL local gigs available thay pay a fair wage.

What is the best way to go about it? Should I relocate first and then apply?!
    Should I apply from FL and this way I relocate and already have a job?! How would you guys do it?! Any advice is welcome!!! Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Research where you would like to live. Pick 5. Get a line on short term housing in each. Find a job in each. Move to the most desirable.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    First, where do you want to live? A few drivers on this forum probably from the area.
    You can find a job before or after you move to a new location.
    Plenty of jobs available all over the country.
    If you have a family, focus on location that is safe and has the best schools.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    drumchaos Thanks this.
  5. Yelsew

Yelsew Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Is the price of living relatively the same as the places you're searching? I asked this because I live in Florida as well. My mortgage payment is low compared to friends in other states with less square footage.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you want line haul jobs; they're all over the place. Many don't run ads for drivers 365 days a year, but the jobs are there. There's at least 4 line haul terminals where I moved to and I had no idea they were here before.
    Let us know where you're interested in relocating to and drivers will give you some leads on jobs.

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Call the Orange Juice hauling tanker companies, In and out of Fl, regularly. Maybe Oakley for instance. By the way liquid tankers load & unload very easy thru a hose.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Tropicana Train departs daily for New Jersey, it is one of the hottest trains on the entire east coast if not the Nation.

If you can find work moving oranges to the shipper then I would think you have a pretty good run.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.