NEED ADVICE ON SAFETY OUT OF SERVICE PERCENTAGE

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by TopDog20, Apr 3, 2018.

1. TopDog20

TopDog20 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    I am a little over a year with my authority, on a road inspection my driver was put out of service for failing to show log book and also my truck got some inspection tickets. I have court in a couple of weeks but ever since this incident, my safety numbers show 100% since I have only been inspected once. Now I am having a lot of trouble getting companies to give me loads because of my safety number showing 100%. Does anyone know how I can go about fixing this issue? I have since made the repairs and now I have an ELD on the truck but I don't know how to remove that safety score that reflects so badly on my authority and is causing me to lose a lot of loads? any advice, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Find a friendly DOT certified officer and request an inspection. Make sure everything is tip top shape.

TopDog20 and truadvocate Thank this.
  4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Get everything looking and working right and go scale hunting

jammer910Z, TopDog20 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Maybe you should have kept the truck in legal condition before being forced to do so by a bad inspection.

Seems to me that this is the good side of the CSA system, when it works to keep you fly by night carriers off the road a bit more.

06driver Thanks this.
  6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Oh, horse puckey. The CSA system is hugely problematic in this area. There is enough randomness in inspections that even when running a ridiculously thorough maintenance program, stuff happens. In the last 12 years, I've been put out of service TWICE on the day after getting the truck DOT'd at a dealer. Fun, times, I can assure you.

Three months ago, we had a slow leak on a drive tire, and the scale caught it. All tires were checked before loading 4 hrs earlier, with a gauge, and we run Cat Eyes to boot. What are you going to do? Gauge every 30 minutes?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  7. TopDog20

TopDog20 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I am not a fly by night carrier. New yes, and obviously learning the ropes the hard way...... thank you anyway for your comment.

8. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    You allowed a driver to operate without a log book. You failed to maintain your truck.

Seems fixing this problem is easy. Fire the driver, get your ELD compliant, fix your #### truck.

Haul what you can until your number approves.

ChaoSS and TopDog20 Thank this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Not following the most publicized law in the last 6 months (ELD) is a fly by night operation.
    Same with the several inspection tickets. Just screams of someone not knowing the very basics of what they are doing, i.e. a fly by night company.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No logbook? Not even paper?

Tsk tsk tsk.

If the driver did not have a precious logbook to last status of duty change current to last 8 days and YOU the carrier retained same as record at least 6 months... tsk.

You should probably ask driver once every 8 days, where are your logs? No logs? Halt him until he produces logs for YOU the company. Or else YOU are viewed as aiding and abetting this driver...

Now the driver was OOS with no logbook. That's a no brainer. Fire him. It really makes you look bad. ooo here is a company that has nothing in sight that is in need by regulations inside that truck... oh my... no wonder DOT got... touchy and you suffer for it.

Let's get you paperlogs at a minimum and get you decent ELDs and find drivers who will keep this *&^% current. As far as the shippers and recievers getting cold feet and not hiring you as a company to haul freight? That is a form of blacklisting or exclusion that does not make any sense to me. It will destroy the industry if not itself regulated in someway.

Sure there needs to be and is kept a certain amount of score on companies one truck or 15000 but you would think JBH with 14000 drivers have a certain percentage less than 100% still get freight. You should be able to too.

TopDog20 Thanks this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Not everybody is required to have a log book. Not everybody that is required to log today must also have the previous 7 days with them. Not everybody is required to run an ELD.

More often than not, I haven't handed over a log book when I've been stopped...even if I had one. I also don't carry more than the current day with me when I DO log. Why? Because I may not have been required to log those previous 7. I love being home every night.

I am probably going to lose my exemption, though, sometime later this week...been picking up a little, and have found myself outside the 100 air-mile radius often enough that today is #8 and I won't see any days drop off for another several days. Oh well...been running the Garmin ELD for a week now just to compare and make sure all of the required info is being entered in so that the log is correct, and I'm amused by how much less accurate it is compared to my paper logs. Hell, most days simply show the same town for every duty status change...12 miles this way or 8 miles that way...quick glance doesn't look like I've moved at all. I still think they are a pain in the ### more than anything, but not too difficult to figure out. Still prefer paper, though...at least I KNOW everything that is supposed to be there is on there with just a quick glance.

jsnell and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.