NEED ADVICE ON SAFETY OUT OF SERVICE PERCENTAGE

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by TopDog20, Apr 3, 2018.

1. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    We got two OOS violations is a fairly short period a few years ago (one for a tail light, and one for loose binder). Since those were the only inspections we had during that period, our OOS rate was also 100%. We don't use brokers so our OOS rate didn't really affect us.

TopDog20 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Quit calling brokers begging for Freight First of all.
    Secondly,You Made your Bed- So the best advice I can Give you is Find Direct business-Hire a Salesman to get you some business.

Because the Brokers like to Sniff around a carriers CSA scores- I Don't know what else to tell you- maybe Lose your Authority and Start with a new Name, I Don't Know-Hope you learned a good lesson here

4. TopDog20

TopDog20 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    I absolutely did learn a good and valuable lesson. Thank you for your advice. I will try to look how I can go about getting direct business.

5. TopDog20

TopDog20 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Yeah, its such an unfair practice to be nailed when you only have just that one inspection. In my opinion this really hurts the little guy like me, because, I depend a lot on the brokers right now. There is no other way to keep rolling until I can find dedicated runs or direct loads from the companies themselves. It has affected me a lot. Thank you for your comment.

6. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I was actually driving the truck that got the OOS tail light. Light was working during pre-trip that morning, it was raining really hard and it looks like the seal was compromised and the water on the bulb caused it to blow. The Trooper gave me a warning and let me travel to the truck stop at the next exit to fix it (instead on the side of the road in the rain), but the OOS was still reported.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and TopDog20 Thank this.
  7. keitht

keitht Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    USA
    As a CVSA certified inspector, I can tell you that Inspectors / officers are strictly forbidden to voluntarily perform an inspection when requested to do so. It is prohibited by the feds and an inspector can loose his job if he performs them. If this rule were not in affect, companies with bad safety ratings could cherry pick vehicles and drivers and request large numbers of inspections to unfairly inflate their scores. The only exception that I make in this regard are when drivers approach me with trucks that have serious safety defects that their companies have refused to address. I then do the inspection, place the vehicle out of service and the paperwork is written up so that the company does not know that the driver asked for assistance. The company is then forced to make the needed repairs. I run into this a lot.

I remember many years ago when this was not a rule, performing an inspection for a driver who stopped in and requested it. Unfortunately, the driver was suspended and placed out of service.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  8. TopDog20

TopDog20 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    So what would you suggest I do? Because in almost two years, I have had only 1 inspection and it happen to be on the day I borrowed a friend's trailer and driver (who obviously, did not keep their equipment or procedures in check). I don't know if you have read this thread from the beginning, but due to this 1 inspection I am severely losing a lot of loads because brokers won't give me loads based on my score showing 100%.

9. keitht

keitht Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    USA
    There's nothing keeping you from stopping and asking for an inspection. I'm guessing that quite often, they will do it. I wouldn't, but some might. If they do, then it's them that have violated the rules, not you.

The way the system is set up, the only thing you can do is to keep your equipment and drivers in compliance for if or when you are selected for an inspection. Then with time, any current CVSA points showing on your score, will eventually drop off.

TopDog20 Thanks this.
  10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012

In cab live measering system.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Show us there the regs say this.

Disagree, its fair.

Its fair because there is no system here being used to single you out.

You got caught and that's alright because that's what the system is supposed to be like.

If it wasn't random, then we would have all kinds of crap rolling down the road.

WHOA there, you DO NOT BORROW DRIVERS.

YOU have an authority and unless you contract with a temp service and get his file in your system as part of the contract, he is a new hire and processes as a new hire. He isn't a product that you rent or borrow.

To the blue part - you don't give a crap what others do, you have a policy and follow it WITH NO EXCEPTIONS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.