need advice-should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by longbedGTs, Nov 20, 2017.

1. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Go buy a used truck you can afford. Where are you located, if you plan on running to California, need newer tractor that meets emissons standards. Check out Ryder they have deals on used tractors.

longbedGTs Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks ya'll. I'm glad to see encouragement here...and the reality of it is good to see also. Aside from the truck purchase price, what would you suggest any new O/O to start with financially? I don't even have 10K right now(just bought a house and savings went *poof* for the most part). Great idea about going back with my current company as an O/O later on. Never considered that. I think the suggestions about going with a new company for the time being...are a good one. I just am not gaining much ground here. Man it's depressing considering the work I put in, but here's a breakdown of things. At the risk of getting too personal, I get .34cpm straight pay, no bonuses, no paid holidays, 1 week vacation after 1 year, layover somewhat regularly, and detention rarely. I will gross approx $43K this year...down 9K from the previous year. A lot has changed in the last year. It's a reefer outfit and I chose them out of convenience.

I have a line on another company(15 trucks) that does reefer, dryvan, and flatbed/stepdeck, but they pay by percentage. I've never been on percentage, so I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Also not sure about the stability of a smaller company, but they've been in business for 11 years so they must be doing well. They pay 25% of the linehaul and their operating area is midwest only. That's a shorter haul than I'm use to, and with percentage, maybe there's some good money to be made. Any thoughts about percentage based pay?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You know what's funny (as the thread is being derailed)? The 2 most well known songs on that album are also the 2 worst!

Instead of "Should I Stay or Should I Go" or "Rock the Casbah", try this one;

Lepton1 and longbedGTs Thank this.
  5. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    You should make more on percentage, although many carriers set up a brokerage, then funnel all the traffic through the brokerage skimming off 10 to 25 %. Other factors are fuel discounts, who pays the insurance, escrow accounts and how long to get paid and advances. Can you decide what to haul and policies concerning loading for other brokers if no freight is available.Don't forget about safety ratings, a lower score means less random dot inspections. You can put on your own license plate and have your own ifta account. That helps when you get great fuel mileage and the company would have charged fuel tax on a company average.

Lepton1, longbedGTs and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. longbedGTs

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Well, I hope it's not being derailed. I want to stay on topic somewhat...but yeah man, glad someone got the thread title reference. Great song!

Should have been more specific. This would be a company driver position that I'd stay at while I build up capital for when I decide to get my own truck. I've already talked with the main guy there and told him of my plans. I don't like to job-hop, but I also have to go where the money is at. I think anyone can understand that.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I agree with several of other guys. Move on to more money. But make sure it's more money. Don't fall for a line. I personally like where i work. But, i am not loyal to them as much as I am professional with them. I am loyal to my wife, my kids, and our future. This company allows me to be that way. If there is a situation where they don't, I'll move on without looking back. I left a company I'd been at for nearly 17 years. They couldn't continue to be what we needed, so I had to move on. Where you are at it doesn't look like you'll get where you want to be. Time to move on. That's just my humble opinion for what it is worth.

Lepton1, TripleSix and longbedGTs Thank this.
  8. Voorhees84

Voorhees84 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2016
    You can do a lot better than .34 cents a mile . I'm in the Northeast and I never see under .42 cents advertised these days with benefits. Move on these guys are robbing you .

Lepton1, longbedGTs and 77fib77 Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I would have to talk with the owner ops at that company. If the majority of them have been there for a minute, that would mean they get pretty good rates and stay moving. See if some of the guys are willing to share some numbers with you before you jump ship.

Lepton1 and longbedGTs Thank this.
  10. longbedGTs

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    I agree. Fresh out of trucking school in '07, I was making .34 with Crete...the same as I am 10 years later. I've talked with the owner of this other company that pays percentage and made it clear(though as tactfully as possible) that the main reason behind this move is to make more money. I really hope things work out because I'd hate to quit a new company after being there for such a short time(if it doesn't work out)...but I have to do what I can to better my situation.

I was hoping you'd reply! I was going to talk to a couple O/O that I know somewhat well, but after getting the feeling that I have quite a while to go before I'm financially ready to get my own truck, decided against it and am focusing on finding a better company driver position for now. Also, in our talk yesterday with the owner of this other company, stated that they have a few owner ops and would accept me and even help me transition into an owner op(though he didn't get specific on how he'd help). It's nice to know that they're willing to work with me.

Also, what would you suggest a new owner op start with financially? Aside from the initial truck purchase price and down payment, what would be a good amount to have in the bank ready to go for getting the truck legal and be able to cover any unforseen expenses? Am I far off base with thinking 15-20K would be a good cushion amount?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Lepton1 and TripleSix Thank this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you can turn a wrench and have basic knowledge on the mechanics and how they work, you can get by without the huge financial reserves. Especially if you find a good truck. There are guys here that can and are willing to help. Look up their stories. @Broke Down 69, @Lepton1, @blairandgretchen. For you, $15000 would work. But even if you can do everything on the truck, I'd still recommend that you find a good trustworthy independent shop around your home 20. Roadside repairs are lethal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.