Need Advice

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by thirteen, Nov 28, 2007.

1. thirteen

thirteen Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Texas
    Basically I have been stalking these forums trying to solve my dilemma. However, I haven't found that perfect solution I was looking for (as if it truly existed). I worked for deBoer just after training and was only there 3 months which limits me all around. Not only do I have little experience but I was in an autoshift truck as well, which I liked by the way.

I trained in a 10-Speed so Im not completely oblivious to how it goes, I aced all the testing and such in all aspects of turns, shifting, mirrors....etc. However, I like a lot of young people jumping into the industry was quickly spoiled to the autoshift. I really wanted to go to Maverick but they would not hire me because I live 9 miles too far for that. Yes 9. I know, they seem quite petty but a lot of places are. Currently it looks as if PAM is my only option and I have the release forms in hand awaiting my actual decision to be made.

I have read on this site and others how PAM isnt so great in many ways but that it is in others but I dont really know what to believe. Another thing is even though I have such little experience and it was over 7 months ago when I had it, PAM does not think I need any type of refresher to the job. This isnt a major concern as Im sure it would pick back up in my mind slowly but surely. Anyway, if anyone knows of a "decent" company (notice I didnt say "perfect) out there with a chance for me to drive an autoshift and continue on to greener pastures I would highly appreciate the info. Its more of a problem for me it seems because I have been out of work for so long that I am starting to just say screw it and go somewhere I know Im not going to work out just so my kids can have Christmas this year.

Like I said, any and all information will be helpful and definitely appreciated.

Thx

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redrocker1055

redrocker1055 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2006
    michigan
    Does pam plan on puting you on with a trainer? If not let us know EVERY DAY WHERE YOUR AT. lol just kiding
    Um, us express is pure auto, But i recamend you with a company with manuals, and here's why. You will aways know how to drive an auto, but with as little pratice you have you can easyly forget how to drive a manual.
    As far as far as who to believe? You, and only you can decide.
    Rember there is no such thing as the pefect employer or employee and when one of those two get shafted thats when you hear the negative..
    Go with pam, if you like great if you don't your not out much......
    Don't wory that much about your dac because as long as you stay clean you will always be able to get a driving job.. I just would not let seven months lasp. Thats kind of a long time...good luck, and mind the tight turns.

4. IUfanforever

IUfanforever Light Load Member

May 31, 2007
    As far as I know all of PAM’s trucks are automatic. They phased out their manuals a year or so ago.

Will they really hire you without going through one of their three week schools??? I always thought that if you had less than 1 year of experience they’d make you go through on of their Driver Solutions schools.

5. thirteen

thirteen Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Texas
    They said yes theyd hire me....I do already have my CDL which is mainly what they use Driver Solutions for. I just havent driven in a while although last time I did drive was constant snow driving including that huge blizzard in Indiana but starting back a little rusty in the same weather presents a caution for me. As well as experienced truckers wouldnt want someone in my case on the road without a little bit of a refresher at least, I feel the same but apparently PAM does not at the moment. I kept my papers today and didnt sign them because I was about 90% about not going to PAM. However, I was curious about another thing. Do you think it would be bad to go right back to deBoer? They were fairly helpful with newbies which is something I may not get elsewhere, but I dont know if I will or not as I havent talked much with other newbies.

6. IUfanforever

IUfanforever Light Load Member

May 31, 2007

I don't know anything about deBoer...So I could reccomend going back to them. PAM is pretty decent, so I'd seriously consider going with them at least to get some expericence.

Anyway, whatever you chose good luck.

7. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

If you were happy with Deboer in the first place, why did you leave after only 3 months?

8. thirteen

thirteen Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Texas
    I was too new and wasnt ready to adjust quite yet and thought there had to be something better which I found there not to be in my area. I live in a horrible location to find a job. The only reason I guess that pushed me was that I wasnt getting home as per the agreement between my dispatcher and myself. I have now realized thats anywhere you go for the most part. So, most likely I will go back there, thank you all for your help. I hope its like riding a bike and I can pick it back up pretty quickly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.