Need an interpretation of the new FMCSA guidance....

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Accidental Trucker, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Ok, so here is the new proposed FMCSA guidance on the 150 air mile exemption while transporting agricultural commodities.

We haul an agricultural commodity from the farm to market, 900 road miles away. We've never worried about anything as far as exemptions, but it might come in handy, in a pinch. The way I read this guidance, HOS do not apply on the initial 150 miles of the trip, and start at ZERO once leaving the "save zone". This seems to conflict with the usual HOS rules that require that you list ALL compensated work. So, which is it? Do we get to load and drive 150 miles without counting on our 11, 14 and 70?

Regulations.gov

V. Regulatory Guidance
    FMCSA proposes Regulatory Guidance, Questions 34 and 35 to 49 CFR 395.1 as follows:

Part 395 Hours of Service of Drivers
    Section 395.1
    Scope of the rules in this part
    Question 34: Does the agricultural commodity exception (§ 395.1(k)(1)) apply to drivers while driving unloaded to a source where an agricultural commodity will be loaded, and to an unloaded return trip after delivering an agricultural commodity under the exception?

Guidance: Yes, provided that the trip does not involve transporting other cargo and the sole purpose of the trip is to complete the delivery or pick up of agricultural commodities, as defined in § 395.2. In that case, driving and on-duty time are not limited, nor do other requirements of 49 CFR part 395 apply.

Question 35: Does the agricultural commodity exception (§ 395.1(k)(1)) apply if the destination for the commodity is beyond the 150 air-mile radius from the source?

Guidance: The exception applies to transportation during the initial 150 air-miles from the source of the commodity. Once a driver operates beyond the 150 air-mile radius of the source, part 395 applies. Starting at zero from that point, the driver must then begin recording his or her duty time, and the limits under the 11-hour, 14-hour, and the 60-/70-hour rules apply. Once the hours of service rules begin to apply on a given trip, they continue to apply for the duration of that trip, until the driver crosses back into the area within 150 air-miles of the original source of the commodities and is returning to that source. If the driver is not returning to the original source, the HOS rules continue to apply, even if the driver reenters the 150-mile radius.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's straight forward.

Read again carefully.

Once you tick off the 150th mile, stop and start a logbook. Maintain that logbook through the delivery 900 miles away and BACK to that specific spot 150 miles from home where the logbook was started.

The BIG BIG KEY is that the truck and driver that delivered the 900 mile wheat or whatever HAS TO BE COMING BACK TO THAT FARM or starting point where loaded inside that 150 mile radius zone. YOU CANNOT dispatch that truck somewhere else to load inside that 150 mile radius and expect to be exempt. Thats a form of cheating.

Starting at zero from that point, the driver must then begin recording his or her duty time,

and the limits under the 11-hour

, 14-hour,

and the 60-/70-hour rules apply

. Once the hours of service rules begin to apply on a given trip,

they continue to apply for the duration of that trip

until the driver crosses back into the area within 150 air-miles of the original source of the commodities

and is returning to that source

. If the driver is not returning to the original source, the HOS rules continue to apply, even if the driver reenters the 150-mile radius.

quatto Thanks this.
  4. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    I agree with that. But, there are lots of other jobs that are HOS exempt, but need to be recorded once the driver becomes subject to HOS. For example if a mechanic is called to drive, he starts the log book when he starts driving, but he has to record his PREVIOUS 7 days of work history on that log. Or a driver flipping burgers at McDonalds on the weekend has to record those flipping (see what I did there?) hours on his log book when starting to drive on Monday.

My question is: is this guidance an "exemption" to the "all compensated work needs to be logged" principle of the HOS regulations. It reads to me like it is, but it makes me uncomfortable.

@Scalemaster ?

NightWind and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Once again the new folks at the FMSCA strike again to revise the meaning of the law with revised guidance.

For those that don't know around 2014 FMSCA revised the exemption radius for raw ag. products from 100 air miles to 150. That is as long as you were only in a 150 air mile radius of your start point you could travel log book free. Kind of like a local driver, only you were total exempt from HOS; no 70!

Now if this guidance is approved you can travel your 11/14 + 150 air radius miles on both side of the haul. You could essentially driver for 24 hours a day until your 70 is up; so 70 hours as long as most of your trucking is in the 150mile radius.

So once again good job on reading and understand your own laws FMSCA.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ya know 24/7 team trucking between two production buildings shuffling 25 vans. With a sleeper tractor. Half a mile apart. (Near the USAF Air base in Jacksonville Arkansas)

Something like 7.45 a hour times 168 hours in a week... times two temp drivers (Minimum wage) roughly 1150 gross per driver per week. Call it 2400 or so gross to the house.

Over time would be such a awesome time and half... I don't count that high.

7. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    If this guidance stands, it won't make much difference, EXCEPT we can then do back to backs without a 34 (thank goodness the Canadian reset rules are way more accommodating). It'll make scheduling a LOT easier around holidays so the guys can have a block of time off.

One thing that is clear as mud, though, is the "start at zero" part on the 11/14 and 70. It seems to mean that if you leave the safe zone on Monday, you get a fresh 11/14/70. Come back, leave again on Tuesday. Do you get another "start at zero" 11/14/70? What if you make two trips on Monday? Do you get two fresh 14's?

The wording by the bureaucrat boys sucks as much as the new PC guidance. Someone needs to go take an English composition class.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    There is no conflict, no problems interpreting it, the hos starts the second you start the truck. The exempltion comes at the end of the day when the 150 miles is breached.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    Ridgline, thanks for the alternative interpretation, but I find it hard to agree with:

"Guidance: The exception applies to transportation during the initial 150 air-miles from the source of the commodity."

It clearly applies both outbound and inbound.

Grouch, Toomanybikes and NightWind Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I see your point but here is the thing, you get an officer who can say "we don't follow that guideline" so then what?

The way I am told is anything above 150 miles triggers full logs.

If this wasn't the case, it would be a big mess for those who are trying to enforce the HOS.

I know it isn't what they intended but guidance have an issue, they are examples or guidance for a specific issue and not the regulation. The states do not have to follow the guidance, it isn't binding. AND I bet that word will be dropped when it is open for comments.

11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    ONLY to and from the exact source starting point.

IF you had a load of wheat in the farm this morning in Timbuktu west... and delivered to a coop in anyhole USA 200 miles away, and you were called to go to Timbuktu EAST farm to get a load of corn (The two farms say 2 miles apart...) then your original 150 mile exemption no longer applies, you will have to maintain your logs until your delivery from Timbuktu east is completed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.