Need an opinion and advice

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Justonelittlezerg, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Justonelittlezerg

Justonelittlezerg Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Hey guys, so im looking to buy a 2011 volvo for 35k, the LTL company that im looking to go with offers a regional NE position, avg 1500 miles a week, mon-fri, weekends off, 450/day, and the company pays for disel and tolls, is that a good offer?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Ltl company drivers probably make that including their benefits ... That's horrible money.

Justonelittlezerg Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They're paying for his fuel & tolls & paying him $2250.00 a week; is that still horrible money?
    I don't know; that's why I'm asking.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    No.

6. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    He's probably going to be lumping freight, pushing his 14 every day, and possibly laying over from time to time if not every day. Is $2250/week (before taxes and truck payment and maintenance) good money for a 70+ hour week and not being home every night? One breakdown will eat a week's paycheck pretty quickly.

7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    If you do this, I would find an older truck without the emissions. Do that and you may be able to bank some money.

8. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    Depends on what else the company is paying for as well.. Insurance and plates aren’t spoken and we can assume they’ll file IFTA since they’re paying for fuel.

Let’s assume he works 48 weeks a year.
    He can gross $108,000. Which doesn’t sound terrible to some extent.

Now I would set aside a minimum of $15k per year for maintenance, $10k per year for equipment replacement.

We don’t know how the purchase of the truck is structured so let’s say 36 months of payments equal to around $12k per year.

He hasn’t shared whether he needs health insurance or has that covered.

He’s at $71k now pre-tax, assuming no other expenses. For that kind of money I would personally stay a company LTL driver.

I’m not saying he won’t make it and I hope he does if that’s the route he takes.

I would personally rather buy a truck out right and make $1000+ per day on similar mileage. Granted my fixed costs are higher but my net is much higher also.

Justonelittlezerg and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Justonelittlezerg

Justonelittlezerg Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2018
    They paying for lumper as well

For truck 20 down, 15 over 5 months

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    AND you are doing your due diligence on the truck, AND you are ready to reject it if it doesn't pass those tests, RIGHT??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.