Need "experienced" suggestions.. life advice.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Newsome, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Newsome

Newsome Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I'm new, like as in this is my first post new. I'm 21 years old, not afraid to work, and located in Eastern, NC. I just want good advice from experienced people. I run a small towing company in my town (pop. 37k). I have a decent sized shop/warehouse for storage within city limits. I have a late 80's Chevy rollback with a 454, no wheel lift on the back, just a 19ft aluminum bed that i'm not scared to take anywhere. Also have an early 2000's F-350 7.3 Snatch Truck I got a decent deal on. Currently on my local PD's rotation list and that's whats paying the bills. My question is, what should I do?

I've tried getting on with the sheriffs dept and state troopers rotation list but apparently the waiting list is outrageous and it would be years for me to even get a "inspection" to see if i'm eligible.

I've heard about companies like "Central Dispatch," where I could simply by a 3-car wedge trailer and a nice dually (need a dually anyway to pull the race trailer) and supposedly make "3-4,000 a week" Just hauling cars. I have no interest in driving semi-trucks, but if what I was told about dispatch is true... it's tempting.

But on the other hand, if there's anyway to make more money through towing I would do it. A good friend I met through towing said he simply paid google around $600 for ads and his phone wouldn't stop ringing and he was moving 5-7 cars a day within a 100 mile radius of our town. I bought the snatch truck for repo's but they don't pay enough for what I have to go through to get these rinky-dink cars.

Basically, I could sell both my snatch truck and rollback and just get one really nice rollback ready for work.
    OR sell the snatch truck and buy a dually and a wedge trailer and get to work.
    Any other suggestions are highly appreciated, Thanks.

rachi and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I would try Google AdWords first and see if it works out . Going otr with wedge is far bigger investment and equipment have to be extremely reliable to make money . If you already in towing business - try to expand or get more customers . Just need right guy to do SEO for you

4. Newsome

Newsome Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2019
    What's "SEO?"

rachi and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  5. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    So you run a tow company. This is more of a commercial trucking forum, but a lot of us have experience in other things as well. I spent 10yrs around a tow co in Tucson. There is money to be made if you're in the right market and or have the right connections.
    Dont be fooled by the big $ numbers people throw around. You're not gonna just buy a dually and a car hauler trailer and clear 3-4k a week. Especially in this f'ed up market. You'll live in that pickup on the road. Insurance and fuel costs will eat up most of your profit, then what you do make can go poof real easy with one break down.

Dino soar, D.Tibbitt, rachi and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Michael 247

Michael 247 Heavy Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Dublin Va
    Do U Really want to live in a Truck? Think about it.

Newsome Thanks this.
  7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Search engine optimization
    ...just beware of the guys advertising and promising you fenomenal results ....just google it and get bit educated in this area to understand atleast how's the process working

Newsome Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A bird in hand is better than two in the bush. (To chase)

D.Tibbitt and Newsome Thank this.
  9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Jjj
    I'd try doing some advertising first, make a tour of all the body shops and repair shops around you, preferably the ones that don't have their own rollback or anything.

Newsome Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You might want to adopt certain european taktiks for battery vehicles that burn. Buy a container with a open top and a crane to dunk car into it for a couple of weeks. Charge storage, rental etc.

A vehicle with a crane on the back of the flattop to pick up the dead electric vehicle as it is, wheels and all and plop that onto your deck and go off.

A little something not offered locally would come in handy in your lifetime. You are what? 21? you are going to do things none of us will be alive to see and witness. So a little idea there. A birdy said it.

Newsome Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    A lot of the tow companies up here use their trucks to haul small equipment for rental shops. Your 19 foot deck could probably handle scissor lifts and stuff like that.

Oxbow, x1Heavy and Newsome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.