Need help deciding this...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by XxdiggitxX, Dec 12, 2019.

  1. XxdiggitxX

    XxdiggitxX Bobtail Member

    31
    21
    Nov 17, 2019
    USA
    0
    I'm a new driver, just over 1 yr experience.
    I have 15k in a dry van

    i70 has chain up across Vail, around 20⁰F so probably icy

    Big storm is going to start hitting around 2pm
    I am in Grand Junction and am 2 hrs out so by the time I get there, it will probably be snowing. Not to mention, I just chained up for the first time coming West i70 a couple days ago. It took me about an hour to get them dressed

    Dispatch is telling me to just be safe but try and get to Wisconsin, they are "short on help" at the moment.

    Already arranged a new appt for Monday, was supposed to be there Friday <12/13/19>

    Should I stay here and wait it out? Or should I give it a try?

    Mind you, 15,000lbs and wind is gusting up to 45mph in the mountains

    I am between a rock and a hard place, looking for advice. Thanks to anyone who has a suggestion. If I were alone I would say #### it and go, but i cant put my co driver in that kind of danger
     
    Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Mike250rs

    Mike250rs Medium Load Member

    389
    1,181
    Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    0
    Bottom line:
    If YOU don't feel safe moving the truck, DON'T

    its just something in a box your hauling, not the Holy Grail.
     
  3. starmac

    starmac Road Train Member

    6,677
    12,407
    Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    0
    I always figured if they have not closed the road, I was good to go, but everybody has their own comfort level that they need to go by.
     
  4. silverspur

    silverspur Light Load Member

    278
    307
    Sep 26, 2012
    0
    There's only supposed to be an inch of snow in Vail today. I just checked the 70 on cotrip.org traffic is smooth and I wouldn't worry about 45 mph winds.

    Codot.gov also has a short chain up video.
     
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  5. XxdiggitxX

    XxdiggitxX Bobtail Member

    31
    21
    Nov 17, 2019
    USA
    0
    I made it out of Denver... decided to go for it. Wasnt as bad as it sounded
     
  6. Powder Joints

    Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

    6,142
    4,894
    Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    0
    Your the only one who can decide for you, The weather in that pass can changes 3 or 4 times before you get thru it, make sure you have the ability to stay warm, carry extra food and liquids. Your the only ones that knows your abilities, so stay safe, theres always time for next time, as long as your here for next time.
     
  7. Powder Joints

    Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

    6,142
    4,894
    Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    0
    I don't have any problems with tossing the iron and running, just don't wait till you spinout to put on the chains and take your times, this is the exact advise I gave my son first time he had to deal with Utah to Denver with a no so good forecast.
     
  8. Long FLD

    Long FLD Road Train Member

    3,425
    9,780
    Mar 4, 2015
    Murdo SD
    0
    Sometimes if it might be bad but sounds like it’s going to get worse you’re better off to try and stay ahead of the part where the weather gets worse.
     
  9. Accidental Trucker

    Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

    1,882
    3,149
    Jun 4, 2015
    0
    Sounds to me you could use the practice hanging iron...?
     
    XxdiggitxX, Lepton1 and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted