need help finding a company

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by red dog, Apr 25, 2009.

1. red dog

red dog Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2007
    tucson az
    I got my CDL A jan 07 ,went to swift but because i have sleep apnea was told to go home and get a sleep study done,so I did which took me 7months because I went to the V.A during that time I got a job working as a concrete finisher. and now out of work cant find a company to hire me dac clean,med card up todate,dmv clean,background clear .can anyone help thank

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pawnd

Pawnd Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Chasing wind
    Because of the time not driving, you will likely have to go to a refresher course. How long did you actually drive? Also, from what I have been seeing a lot of companies limiting hiring areas. We were looking to move to NM and that was going to be a problem. You may have more than one obstacle to deal with.

4. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    Consider Schneider. they also have a sleep apnea treatment program.

The other real question is... are companies not hiring you because they don't have any openings right now.. ( or are only hiring drivers with certain levels of experience). or are they not offering you a job because of sleep apnea.

Try applying to some companies and DO NOT TELL THEM YOU HAVE SLEEP APNEA.. see if they offer you a job. You will need to tell the DOT medical examiner about the sleep apnea during the physical.

If you have been denied a position only because you have sleep apnea then you will need to file a complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) for discrimination under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

The issue will be you need to be able to document that the only reason the company did not offer you a job was that you have sleep apnea. You need to be sure you are "under current and effective treatment" etc.

I had to go through this.. when the recruiting managers at 4 trucking companies got the phone calls from the EEOC investigator.. I got 4 job offers real quick.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.