Need help with DD15 diagnosis!!

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by CDL CPL, Dec 2, 2017.

1. CDL CPL

CDL CPL Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Iowa
    I have a 2013 Freightliner Cascadia with a DD15 EPA07. I noticed it was running a little warmer than usual. Fan used to kick on at about 220 and bring it back down to normal. Well lately fan wont kick until at least 230 if not more but still it back down to normal. Showed 1 fault code, took it to Freightliner and they couldnt find anything wrong with it. Said it might be the gauge or a sensor. Few days later check engine light comes while starting, but then shut off and no code ever shown. After that run light comes back on and hasnt shut off since. The temp hasnt gone over 145-150 in idle (which is not normal) and dont warm up until actually start driving. Took it to Loves just because i didnt want to pay the dealer AGAIN. They ran a quick diagnostics attached is the print out they gave me. Now its giving me code EnC1 1451 647 Fail SPN 5. The dealer says Loves diagnostics cannot be trusted but I think they just trying to get more money out of me. Does anyone have any clue as to whats going on with my truck or why shes flashing these codes and acting a bit funny. Any help is much appreciated. (The Loves attachment is 2 pages long.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Thermostat?

CDL CPL Thanks this.
  4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Change the sensor that controls the temp the fan turns on and off ?

CDL CPL Thanks this.
  5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    That latest code is the same as the top one on the Loves list.
    Says there is a broken (open) wire for the engine fan control, explains the higher temps you experienced. Temp not going about 145 at idle this time of year is not uncommon.

Here is the Detroit diagnostic sheet for that code. Some times just unplugging and plugging back in a connector is enough to clean off the contacts and make things work again. But it could be a break in the wire somewhere.

https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/0111-16.pdf

CDL CPL Thanks this.
  6. cmrdev

cmrdev Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Just shows how all these new truck engines are different. My truck will get to 150 while idling and never go above that until I start driving. Once done driving it will stay at 150. New clutch fan , new clutch fan solenoid, and thermostats too. I have an old preemission cat motor so I’m sure things are different for you

CDL CPL Thanks this.
  7. CDL CPL

Aug 14, 2017
    Iowa
    that is my guess as well. But now a days,so much extra BS added to theses engines . im not sure were the problem is and is it something i can Do myself or do i HAVE to take it to those theiving Freightliner shops.
    yea it kicks on,

8. CDL CPL

Aug 14, 2017
    Iowa
    i did notice some of the wires have the covers detereorating a bit , i went ahead and covered them up again. while i was at it, also took time to check plug-ins and watched for any bare wires. nothing unusal

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    They could be corroded inside.

CDL CPL Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.