Need Info on Melton Truck Lines

Discussion in 'Melton' started by freightliner1557, Dec 13, 2008.

1. freightliner1557

freightliner1557 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2008
    somewhere in america
    :biggrin_25520::biggrin_25520:Did the app, got approved for orentation,have read the post on here but seems to be mostly for 2 upset terminated drivers. Can anyone give me the run down from start to finish on this company ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    I ran for Melton for 9 months and left 15 months ago for a local job. While I was there I enjoyed running for them very much. They do their drivers right. That is if you do your job. Deliver on time. Be safe. Follow company policies. I've heard some complaints but what I heard was downright ridiculous. Like whining that the driver had to pay a scale fine "that wasn't his fault". They take meticulous care of the equipment. Got a problem? Let them know. Communication is key. Time to go home after running for a few weeks? Let them know ahead of time so they can plan your loads to get you home. If they ask you to meet another driver and swap loads so he can get home do it. Don't ##### about it! You'll appreciate the same thing when it's time for you to go home. They treat their drivers more like family than anywhere I've ever worked, trucking and non-trucking. If I go back OTR guess who's at the top of my list to contact. They do not preplan loads on you because they don't KNOW when you will actually be empty. If you get to a consignee for a 0900 appointment and the crane isn't there let them know. After 2 hours you get detention pay. Once you are empty you'll punch it into the qualcomm and you go on the list for a load. First come, first serve. Don't wait to get on the list. Learn how it's done and you won't have any problems. They always paid me for everything they owed me and I never had to chase after my pay. Tolls, showers, incidental parts for your truck? Just turn in the receipts in your trippak. Don't get crazy upset because something isn't going quite right with a trip. How often is everything in your life perfect? But talk to your driver manager and they WILL help to resolve it. They never lied to me. How many companies DM's can you say that about? If you ever do leave the company deliver your load and turn the truck in at the terminal they set up for you to do so. When I left I ran two more loads after I notified them and actually turned the truck in at the Birmingham terminal with a load that was headed out west. Again. Communication. Anyway I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Oh yes, and I was a company driver not a lease driver.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  4. flatbedpat

flatbedpat Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Fort Mohave, Az.
    Does Melton run in the southwest alot? I saw an ad out of Las Vegas. I thought most ran midwest. I am looking for a flatbed co. that runs the west. I live in Fort Mohave, Az. and run out of Phoenix. All I do is get sent east and then get stuck out there for weeks at a time.

5. rocksteady

rocksteady Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Canton, Mi.
    I know it is a little late to reply but if it means anything, I worked for Melton for 8 months so far. I cant imagine being anywhere else. Like the other post said it is all true. One thing for sure is no rules are broke around here. I run a lot of every where but mostly west southwest and midwest. Be for warned that freight volume is very slow lately. If any driver (veteran or hew hire) gets 15-1800 miles in one week they did good. It slowed down about around July of 2008 and hasnt been the same since then. Our president-Owner is anticipating it to pick back up around mid to end feb. I sure hope so. Melton just started hiring again last week. The freeze has been lifted.

6. bullthebeerman

bullthebeerman Light Load Member

May 19, 2008
    brooklyn,ny

melton best trucking co around. low on mile right now but still the best

7. Jnizle

Jnizle Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I love Melton! Tarping sucks...but everyone hates tarping! I will never leave them unless I go local. They are not hiring out of the West right now cuz frieght is slooooooow. Flatbed is super slow and Melton doesnt take cheap frieght! 18oo miles ave since Sept.2500 - 3000 when times were good!! The company is good to thier Drivers!!!

8. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    2 years ago i did an app for melton and they wanted to know when i wanted to do orientation, but at the time i wasnt quite ready to go on a long bus ride to their terminal, this year i did an app and they said they wouldnt hire me, now all of a sudden they are sending me emails to apply, i responded back to one and told them i wasnt going to get a hazmat on my license or get a passport, so what did they do? send me another email to apply, what the heck, are they needing drivers that bad?

9. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

justanothercrzytrkdrvr Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    I can't imagine that they would unless has freight has picked back up. I had talked with them myself back around the end of last year but I was able to find a decent local job so I declined their offer. I haven't heard back from them since - not that it's hurt my feelings or anything.

If I was going to go flatbedding I would go with either Boyd or Melton depending on where you live & their hiring area.

10. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    Well i did the online app, then i get the confirmation email they got my app only to show where they do not hire from and where i live the state of idaho they do not hire from here anymore, so they wont be hiring me anytime soon. They dont seem to be hiring from a lot of states as it shows on the email i got, oh well back to the drawing board.

11. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

justanothercrzytrkdrvr Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.