Need info on Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by macngeo, Feb 4, 2007.

1. macngeo

macngeo Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2005
    IL
    Sorry I havent been on this site in a while, I have had alot of trouble loging in.
    This past week my husband drove 5000 miles. last night I noticed he wasent breathing right so I paid close atten, it was like he was breathing hard ( snoring ) then his breathing got softer and softer untill i could not hear him breath. This happened 3 different times last night. And this scared the #### out of me. I am taking him to the doctor but I want your input cause no one knows truckers like other truckers, Please send any info.
    Thank you macngeo

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Sounds like a form of sleep apnea that's for sure!

Doctor may advice him to go to a sleep clinic for a night or two where they have staff that watch people sleep and can diagnose this properly.

After that...he may have to use a breathing machine at night...but that's not as bad as it sounds either.

I Know alot of trucker's who use this device and love it! They get their rest.

I hear ya on the scared the #### out of me part!

Happy Health to you all!

4. RickSt

RickSt Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl
    I agree...find a doctor that will prescribe a sleep study for your husband. It usually take 2 nights over a period of a couple of weeks. During the study your hubby won't actually get a lot of sleep but they'll be able to gather enough information to determine whether or not a cpap machine is warranted.

Once on cpap therapy it may take him a long time to get used to sleeping with a mask on at night but believe me, it pays huge dividends in the long run. He'll feel better when he wakes up and be more alert during the day. You'll get a better nights sleep because you won't be listening for him to stop breathing. My machine goes with me any time I leave the house overnight. In fact it will be going with me to the hospital this week when I go for open heart surgery.

Sleep Apnea contributes to but is not limited to:
    heart disease
    high blood pressure
    diabetes
    stroke
    obesity

Rick

5. BUZZSAW

BUZZSAW Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    I AGREE 100% !!!!!I have been on C-PAP for 9 years & it has been a lifesaver for me !
    As a matter of fact , I am going for an updated sleep study this month. Sleep apnea runs extremely high in truckdrivers, your husband is a BLESSED man to have a wife to inform him of this problem. There are no telling how many single (unmarried ) drivers there are out there who have sleep apnea ; it is un-diagnosed & it COULD END THEIR LIFE.
    Yes, I feel very strongly about this subject. Usually drivers who have this have a high BMI or a large neck, sometimes are slightly over-weight BUT, THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE! I only weigh 180 #s & I have a very bad case of sleep apnea . During my first sleep study , I stopped breathing 45 times per hour. Every time you stop breathing , your brain jumps starts your breathing so....your sleep NEVER reaches the deep REM sleep that really gives us our rest.

6. RickSt

RickSt Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl
    I gotcha beat there. I stopped breathing over 90 times per hour. If I look back on it now, sleep apnea may very well be a huge contributor as to why I am having open heart surgery tomorrow.

I know of many truck drivers who use cpap machines. I have heard the unknowledgeable ask things like how can the DOT allow us to drive if we need machines to help us breath when asleep?

To the poor mis-informed, we are probably some of the safest drivers out there because we don't suffer from the daytime drowsiness that many drivers do. We get better, deeper, more relaxing sleep, we wake up much more rested. It is only our years of undiagnosed, untreated sleep apnea that has lead to many of the problems we still face and unfortunately, ultimately pay for.

That's why companies such as Schneider have taken a proactive stance on this subject. I'm not a fan of the big orange trucks but I do applaud them for their efforts when it comes to sleep apnea.

Rick

7. macngeo

macngeo Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2005
    IL
    I cant thank all of you enough for the info, I read some of the info you gave me too my husband and he thinks he has sinus problems and I told him YOU are goin to see Doc cause I dont want a knock at my door or sing ROLL ON!!!
    Best wishes to you having surgery I will keep you in my prayers.
    Good Health to all
    Georgia

8. BUZZSAW

BUZZSAW Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    macngeo , After he goes thru the DR. visits , sleep studies & the break-in period .............................................................HE WILL THANK YOU !!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.