Need new antenna. couple questions.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Fold_Moiler, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Ok so the shop just threw a cobra classic in my truck and didn't tune it or anything and the old antennas are old and beat up and super rusted.

So after a few youtube videos I tried tuning it myself because my shop is useless and I don't trust them. I can't get my swr below 1.5 or so I can hear people now but I can't transmit I don't think. I also need to shorten my antenna but it's not changing the swr no matter what I take off the antenna. 40 is higher than 1.

So yeah, it's a Volvo 670 with dual antennas. But I pull tankers so can I just throw one away and buy one single? I plan on getting an antenna somewhere on 80 in Iowa during my 10 hour break and getting it working properly.

Can I run a single and just leave one mount empty? If so how big of an antenna should I get and I'd like to get one you screw the tip to adjust.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    You may want to get the factory antenna mount and coax checked out if you plan on using it , if not you can attach a bird perch, use your own mount and coax. I drive a Volvo and the factory antenna system works good with a Hustler Q27 antenna. Swr of 1.5 is very good and a good replacement antenna would be the 4" Firestick II with the adjustable screw on top, and as far as running only 1 antenna I dont know if the dual antennas are co-phased for the cb or the one on the passenger side is for tv and fm radio, I only have one antenna on the drivers side.

4. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Well the antennas on it now are all rusted and full of water. I have a tiny antenna on the back which I think is for the fm radio. I don't have a tv or anything. It's just a tiny sleeper only a bunk and nothing else. It's the low roof model I can't stand in it or anything.

It's not my truck so I don't want to spend a bunch of money but I can spend a little on some antennas. So maybe get one firestik II and try that and if it doesn't work I'll get another? I'll probably sleep at that massive truck stop on I80 between IL and Des Moines. I know they'll have some decent antennas.

5. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    If there are two factory ant mounts on it,use both..If you leave one empty to will totally mess up the system..Its like only buyin 7 spark plugs for a v8..
    Keep it simple..get two of the fibreglass any that let you tune via the top where there is a tuneable tip..DO NOT get the ones that you have to trim wire,get the ones like on top of a skip shooter that looks like a lil nail up top or the firestick that has the lil bolt as a tuneable tip...Depending on the truck and where ant is mounted i wouldnt go less than 4.5 feet...
    "IF" the ant are that bad chances the coax is crap to..AGAIN depending on the truck and where it mounts i would just run 1 ant and run that direct to radio..

6. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    I did some reading. I do need to run both through the factory system.

The old antennas are that kind where you trim the wire, I cut off all I could and still couldn't get channel 40 even close to 1.

They are mounted on the mirror and it's a flat top Volvo 670. I don't know if to coax is bad, the antennas just look like they were beat to hell from trees or something. The plastic was all split up and the wires all rusty from water.

I could run new cable and mount it somewhere but I'd probably just make my shop do that since it's not my truck.

7. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Bird perch is about $12.00, antenna mount $15.00, mini 8 coax $ 20.00, and antenna $ 30.00 if you wanted to do it yourself and also a Star Type Driver Set about $12.00 to remove screw from mirror bracket.

Dirtymartini15x Thanks this.
  8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If your at a 1.5 your fine.. Stock 4 watt radio, 1.5 ready to roll.

9. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Does it matter that my swr on channel 40 is higher than 1? I keep trying to check and no one responds so I gave up.

10. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If ch 40 is 1.5 then no

11. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I run 2 francis 5 foot antennas, they were about 12.00 bucks each, stock phasing harness as innstalled by Peterbilt, Cobra 29 ltd, swr about 1.3 on channel 19, thats where I leave the radio works fine. Also run a Yeasu dual band 144/440 radio, and a Kenwood Dstar, lots of antennas, no problem with 1.5 swr.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.