Need some advice on a CRST truck lease

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by John B. Hood, Jul 6, 2018.

1. John B. Hood

John B. Hood Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
    I'm young but i've been driving for a couple years, up and down Texas, Oklahoma and that region, frac sand, flatbed, that type of stuff. I've definitely cut my teeth on driving and I'm ready to get an OTR job that'll be easier. The concept of shutting down for 10 hours and not having someone scream down my neck sounds like heaven.

But i've heard enough flack about OTR companies, but all my buddies say nothing but good things about their paychecks. At the moment I'm at a crossroad. I contacted CRST's flatbed company Malone. The recruiter was very eager when he found out my record is clean as a whistle with no tickets or accidents, he urged me to fill out the application and as a salesman always does, sped along the process. I went ahead and filled out the app and i'm waiting to hear back from them. Though it's moving very quickly and I want to get some advice from people that have been down this road.

I understand an in-company truck lease is a terrible idea, however I wish to use the income to kickstart a hotshot business outside of the semi. Something simple that my family can run while I run wide open until I can get it established, and quite frankly i'm tired of these ######## local jobs.

The recruiter talked to me, and though I'm not sold I wish to find some answers to these questions;

The pay is 70% of load, does this come out to be good? i.e, if you run according to your logs and plan out your expenses, can you make a living? Obviously I was fed the "You'll make $2,000-3,000 a week' line, but i've been fed that nonsense enough times to know that it's never true. There is always a catch. So for those who know, what's the catch?

No forced dispatch, how true are they to their word? Obviously if i'm sitting a truck for a week, it's not in my interest. But are they gonna send some gangsters to bust my kneecaps if I start easing up?

How screwed am I when I sign the lease? How many years of my career am I signing away to CRST?

I'm very interested in running my own operation, however I'm weary of loans and leases, especially from a company with as much of a record as CRST. #####ing aside, are they really bad? If so, whats the other alternatives that offer what they do?

Any form of advice is much appreciated. Currently, i'm planning to run a Cotton Module when the season starts up in the next few weeks. I know what i'll make doing that, would CRST be worth skipping out on cotton this year?

Thank you all very much, I look forward to your help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    There is a reason they are called Crash and Roll Stunt Team.

Plus, any company lease is a scam. It' is the employee (no, he's not an O/O, I don't care what the company says) taking on the burden of paying all the overhead, but still treated like an employee. No matter what you pull, you are making the same per mile, so say you are in a good freight area. True O/O's are pulling the same load you are, but you are making $1.0/mile, while they are making $4.00/mile.
    No, while I'm sure one or two people have successfully completed a leap, literally every person I've ever talked to that has tried company leasing has failed.

If you have a clean record, 2-3 years experience you can likely get any job yu want. If you give a location (City, State) I'm sure @Chinatown can give reconditions.

As for saving up to do a hotshot business, well everyone I've talked to that tried the company lease could not keep up with expenses. There was no saving up for anything, it all when back in the truck.

John B. Hood and QuietStorm Thank this.
  4. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Don’t do it. The best advice you can get...

5. John B. Hood

John B. Hood Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Thank you for your reply,

I definitely see more negative opinions that I do positives and the O/O insight is helpful. Like I said, I'm not entirely sold on it and definitely do not want to sign away years to an unknown variable(the income).

That's exactly what I've got, clean record, 3 years and a butt-ton of driving. I'd love some recomendations. I'm based out of Corpus Christi, tx for the next year.

I was worried I'd barely make ends meet. The guy told me they cover the trailer and apply .15 per mile to a maintenance account. But i'd already be getting into a 200k+ mile truck without even seeing it first. I can see the problems from there, .15c on the mile won't cover much if I have a PS pump or oil pan crack or something. I can definitely see going under from a breakdown.

6. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Absolutely not, especially for them. If your credit is good buy a truck yourself then lease on to a company where you pick your own loads if you want the safety of a big fleet.

If your credit isn't good, improve your credit.

Coover Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I recommend hiring on with a tanker company as a company driver.
    Tidewater Transit Co. will probably offer you an excellent job.
    You can run OTR for them.
    upload_2018-7-6_14-9-59.jpeg

John B. Hood Thanks this.
  8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I am leased to Malone. Their lease purchase is not as bad as others, but I don't think that is any proof. I know drivers who have paid for their trucks, I know o/o who have turned to lp with because their truck died and I know contractors who turned in the gold truck because they bought their own.

The new lease program also involves a 3rd party equipment company.

Even after repairs and all that, I'm on pace for $80 k not. I know there are company positions that pay that and more, and there are o/os who are making less. I don't put in a lot of miles and I'm home every weekend.

The loads are no forced dispatch. As a matter of fact, many driver managers won't get you loads at all. You have to go off the load board or talk to their agents.

We have nothing to do with CRST operations, except to deal with the maintenance department. We get good discounts at certain TA/Petros and regular discounts at Pilot/Flying J and Loves.

I hope that answered your questions.

John B. Hood Thanks this.
  9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    It's 75%, not 70%

10. VerifiedInsane

VerifiedInsane Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Earth
    Avoid ANY L/P at ALL costs! Biggest scam of the world! All you are is a glorified company driver, making their truck payments for the company!

bryan21384 and Coover Thank this.
  11. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    No forced dispatch (like most every other thing that comes from their mouths) is a bold face lie. I took my truck to Malone in 2016 and it was a total waste of time. I had to get some shop work done which had my truck out of commission for a couple of weeks. They kept calling ad texting me complaining that THEY weren't making any money as long as MY truck wasn't running. Long story short, they cancelled my lease because I didn't run enough for their liking. There are countless threads here about Malone, CRST and tons of other fleece purchase companies here. I was one of those guys who had to find out for myself if all the negative reviews about Malone were true. I found out and learned to never repeat that process again. I'm now an Independent and I've never been happier.

I highly recommend to use the search function and read through them. They will ruin your career in a heartbeat via DAC if you make a mistake or owe them money. Speaking of money I had a 1.5 year credit/collection battle with Malone too. They tried to charge me 1400 for things I never even received. It took forever for me to get that straight. They ignored me and sent my credit to the crapper when I needed it most as a new startup business. My advice is drive for an Owner Operator and learn the business that way. Also, you've come to a great forum with some very knowledgable OOs that are willing to help those who help themselves. Put forth a serious intelligent effort and this place will pay you 10 fold for your work.

RedKnight and John B. Hood Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.