Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trucker21, May 5, 2008.

1. Trucker21

Trucker21 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Dearborn, Michigan
    I am attending a small CDL school in my hometown. I have some concerns. The school doesn't use 53' trailers. I don't think there even 48'. After some training, I am not sure if I really want to drive a semi. Maybe I'll get a Class B instead? Should I continue training if I have these concerns? I have only paid half of the tuition, so now would be the best time to leave if I was going to. Telling my parents will not be easy. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    you probably should have thought about that before you started. what's your problem with the trailer length? when you get out in the real world, it's not as bad as it might seem in school. I say stick with it.

4. devnull

devnull Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Trailer length is of no concern. You can slide the tandems all the way back on a 48-foot trailer to simulate a 53-foot trailer. Most schools do this anyway.

5. cajun

cajun Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    USSA
    i wouldn't waste my time with a class b, you're not going to make as much money with a straight job vs. a combo. just hang in there and pay attention, learn as much as you can and when you're done, get you a job and go to work, it's that simple. there's not much difference in the handling characteristics of a 45' trailer vs. a 53 footer, good luck.

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Every body gets cold feet at one time or another.

But if you think you want to bail now is the time to do it. Think long and hard about it and be absolutely certain.

Trucking is not for every one.

7. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    I would also consider this, You can use your class A for Class B work as well. The industry is not exclusively combination vehicles. Their are even a few OTR class B jobs that pop up as well as fedex etc. Buses, Dump trucks.

Just my opinion, if you can pass the test for the combination FINISH. don't let the money go to waste and effort time experience.
    You may decide after driving non-combination or a while that it might not be so bad to driveT/T. If you can test and feel you can pass Finish it.....

:biggrin_2558:

8. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Trucker21,

Only you can decide if you want to continue school. Personally, I agree with those who said 'it's not the size that counts'. A tractor is a tractor, and a trailer is a trailer - as far as schooling is concerned. They're teaching methods and patterns of thought, really - and those don't change when you change trailer length.

That being said,
    indicates some serious reservations about this as a career choice. You have to determine if the concern is based simply on your comfort level with the SCHOOL, or if it's based on the very real possibility that you'll hate driving a truck. Or, simply, are there aspects of driving that make you nervous? (I know, for instance, that I don't look forward to coupling/uncoupling - need much practice. )

Heck, it could even be a desire to avoid responsibility (not to put too fine a point on it). You'll be driving 80,000 pounds of somebody else's money, and dealing with complete jerks on a daily basis- if somebody ELSE screws the pooch, odds are you will get splashed. I know I had to think long and hard about that aspect of this job.

I, obviously, can't make your choice for you. Personally, though, I'd go ahead and finish the school. See if you can't get a local job.. say, belly dump or something like that. Try it for a few months. Then, if you like it - move on to some other trucking job. If you don't, at least you had a decent paying summer job - and you still have your CDL-A to fall back on if other employment opportunities fall apart.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.